Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Help with a home security system

Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Help with a home security system

So I just got a "Netrome Security Black Box". It works as a DVR, but that's all. I cannot trigger events.

So first things first, I immediately voided my warranty.

I installed Ubuntu Linux on the Netrome Black Box unit, then I installed ZoneMinder and a few other software sets. This is now a Dual Boot system which will boot into the Netrome environment running on Windows Vista, or it will boot into Ubuntu. I'm having problems with the cameras currently under Ubuntu. For some reason they are being detected as floppy drives... It's not that popular of a card, so I don't expect it to be highly supported. I am sure I will find a way to get it running pretty soon.

Once I am able to get the video working under Linux, I'm going to program it to dispatch my Rovio mobile webcam to check out the problem and email pictures and video to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBgiEykkH9E

Finally, I want to do something different with the cameras. I would like to know how to set the cameras up. I have 4 cameras which can be set up around the outside of the house. I've heard of setting up decoy cameras and other tactics. I would like to hear some ideas of ways to set up cameras.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have camera's all around my house that come back to my DVR which also has a video output port that goes into a modulator that sends the video feed over my CATV on whatever channel I want so I can view my camera's on any tv all over my house.

As far as camera location goes, just choose locations that are easy to run your video cable and power over to. Most of my camera's are located around my garage which made it easy for me to run the video cable over to and I have wall outlets nearby that I use for the power packs. I did have to drill a few holes through the walls to allow me to feed the cables through then I filled the holes with silicon after I was done running the cables and mounting the camera's.

All my camera's are mounted under the eve's of the house that make it easy to screw the camera brackets onto. 1/2 of my camera's can be reached from the ground and I have never had anyone mess with them over the past 8 years that I have had them up. Most people don't even notice them and the people who do usually stop and stare trying to decide if they are real.

I made sure to have camera's pointed at all the places where I park cars around my house so I would at least have video footage of anything that might happen. So far no one has messed with any of my cars or camera's. I did capture the theft of a neighbors vehicle and separate incident where the neighbors car got broken into.

HTH
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I've though about setting cameras up to record on my computer, just for the hell of it. There's never any problems in my neighborhood, but I'd like to catch anything that may happen. I keep my cars inside my garage, so there's minimal threat there.

I have one tree that's about 15 foot tall, so if they're going to roll my yard, it won't be very spectacular.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 AM
DTN

Ok, I've been talking to associates. 4 cameras is not really enough. The goal is to catch people comming and going from the house. 10 cameras would be ideal, but here's my ideas with what I have to work with.

Here's what should be on a decent camera system.

3-4 covering the sides of the house which are not covered by entrance cameras

2 covering front and side entrances.

So that covers the basics. Entrances and windows... Now here's the pro tips.

---------

2 wireless cameras at the corners of the property to redunandly monitor all existing cameras. and catch any activity on the property.

1 camera inside the house which is in a common area where everyone would pass, main hallway, kitchen, or stairs.

1 wireless camera in a common area (for locating misplaced keys in the event it is needed)

All wired cameras should be in the eves of the house somewhat hidden. Wireless cameras should be in a birdhouse with mothballs to keep the birds out, or in a pot or something... Something to keep the camera hidden. Power cords/extension cords should be burried and hidden.

Also, dummy cameras. Distraction cameras. Say someone is going to come up to your house and rob you. The first thing that they are going to do is take out a camera so there is no evidence. So I would want a blatenly obvious camera near the entrances which I would use. Something which would cause them to do distruction while on video by another camera.

The main unit should be in an inacessable spot, in a fireproof safe. The monitor should be in a location where it is hidden as well, but accessable for records purposes. It is my plan to stick the fireproof safe in the attic and run the LCD monitor/mouse down to a picture, or behind the washer/dryer where it can be accessed in case of a real emergency. This will make it inaccessable to vandalisim, as well as evidence will remain in the case of burglary and arson.

The main unit and wireless cameras should have some form of battery backup which will last 4-6 hours so that in the event of a smart person cutting power to the house, or taking advantage of a power outtage, the data will still be available.

I'd say this is enough information to make a professional setup. Any more tricks from anyone?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

It depends on your home setup. I have two doors, one rear and one front. All 1st floor windows will lead to one of two common areas, so two (maybe three) external cameras and two internal cameras would be able to catch anything of value.

Most homes do not have interior cameras, so would a burglar take time to look/find/disable? I would say most of the time no.

Instead of going through an elaborate interior setup, I would suggest getting an audible alarm - that may be a more effective deterrent, whereas cameras would serve a more responsive method to catch them after the fact.

I have 15 windows in my house, but I don't think it's worthwhile to protect every window. Think of the common areas in your home. Even if they enter through a window, wouuld they be taking TVs/computers out the window or a door? Would that require them to pass by an open area where cameras could be placed? Exterior cameras will catch them coming in, but do you need one on the rear? Are there valuables out there, or concerns for destruction of property? In my home layout, I would keep the cameras focused on vehicles and the front door. I would have an interior camera that would catch the back door and the open area (family room, kitchen, stairs, bedroom hallway).

battery backup, yes, but not just the cameras and main unit. A home alarm setup that includes ethernet, phone line, and cellular broadcast is also good. If they cut the power to the house, the computer/router shut off and won't record anything. You should have a UPS on the computer, monitor, and wireless router as well. But... what happens if the burglars steal your computer? then all this = fail.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:03 PM
DTN

That is the point of the fireproof safe bolted down which contains the battery backup and main unit in an attic

Also, door/window/interior camera triggers will dispatch my rovio mobile webcam which will broadcast to a email or some other remote location. Preferably streaming and recorded there.

I just have to get this card working under Linux or it is simply a dvr.