Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Electrical experts...settle an argument for me

Old 09-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I dealt with that start-up amp draw a lot when I worked on copiers. The new digital systems are very sensitive to drops in voltage. We saw several that had issues with power but only at certain times and sometimes you could damn near time when it was going to jam again and/or just flat flip out. We got voltage analyzer things (multimeters don't sample enough to always catch the drops) at that start-up of certain motors, compressors, fans, etc would cause a momentary drop in voltage. In many cases that daisy chain thing had pushed the lines as much as they could go and even though it was within the realm of what the lines/outlets were rated to hold, as stuff cranked up it exceeded that. I am not sure if it was ever to the point of being a fire hazard, but I have seen the weirdness over extending your power can be.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

You want to talk about startup draw check out this crappy cell phone pic of me at my last job.

IMG00023.jpg

That's me assembling a 400HP (IIRC) electric motor. I wish I could remember what the draw was on that.