Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

DAMNT!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU........

Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Cobalt Blue Tib
Default DAMNT!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU........

After 4 years of playing my Xbox on a daily basis, I got the red ring of death last night. Its out of warranty so does anyone know of any ways to fix it? Guess this will give me an excuse to either go buy a PS3 or a brand new Xbox. banana.gif
Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I fixed mine but it only lasted for a couple weeks before total failure, other people have had better luck. I made a post with a link some time ago but I cant find it, I think the search function has the red ring of death, stupid thing never seems to work. Do not do the towel trick. There is a method were you remove the X-clamps that hold the processor and graphics chips in place and replace them with nuts, bolts and washers along with a few other steps. Follow the steps to the tee, I did some things slightly different and may be why mine didnt last.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem was cold-joint soldering from the manufacturer. The only repair for that is to resolder which is very difficult for a home-DIY'er on connections which you can barely see. Anything else would be a quick fix, destined to fail again.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Can the video card be removed from the main board without soldering? My video card is bad but the rest of my unit is good. I can either sell you mine (and you can stick your video card in it), or I can buy yours. One of us will then have two units that can be combined into one.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

You can use a flux pen and a heat gun but like DTN said it's only a quick fix.
I did a PS3 and it lasted 3 weeks. Long enough to get everything off the drive I needed though.
Do a youtube search, there are tons of videos on how to do it for Xbox and PS3.
And do NOT try to skimp and try the towel trick, it will just melt all the plastic!