Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

CPU cooler suggestions

Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default CPU cooler suggestions

As some of you have read, I recently ordered parts to build a computer. Everything has arrived except the processor (which will arrive today)

I will be installing everything tonight and getting the computer up and running, but am in the process of looking for a CPU cooler to add-on when I get the new motherboard in March.

I have been reading various reviews on coolers, but looking for some opinions as there are tons of options out there and each cooler has their bad reviews..

im looking to spend ~60$. I am also looking for something that would be relatively quiet, but possibly the ability to adjust speed.

I need a CPU cooler compatible with the 1155/1156 socket, which most are these days.

some of the coolers I have been looking at:

Zalman CNPS 10x Quiet

Zalman CNPS 10x Extreme

Coolermaster V8

Coolermaster Hyper 212 (seems like there could be a contact issue by design)

Thermaltake Silent 1156 CLP0552
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I usually just look and see if it'll fit or interfere with something else on the MB or in the case. I also like one that uses a standard fan so that I can replace it if I want to.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE

Here is what I ordered for my most current build. Works wonderfully and quiet. I run 2 instances of EQ2 in very high graphics with no issues. Also looks to use a standard fan and fall into your price range @ approx $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185142
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm with 187sks. For the average user, a processor cooler will either sink the proper amount of heat into atmosphere, or it will not. If you're overclocking and generating alot more heat then stock, then you need an excessive cooling system. Just get one that says it is rated to handle the processor.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Zalman makes great coolers but depending on the back plane of the case you bought you will have to pull

the motherboard to install the back plate. All copper finned with heat pipes and dual fans tend to work the best.

They are priced right where you are looking for.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

thanks for the replies.. i actually ended up being the typical shotgun consumer and bought one before i came back to look at replies.

I ended up picking up the Zalman CNPS 10x Extreme. I spent a couple hours looking at reviews of different ones and it is almost identical as far as efficiency goes as the Quiet version, but looks prettier (haha). it also has a controller that you can mount to the top of the unit, or attach to a harness and control it outside the case. Not to mention, the thermal grease that comes with the Zalman coolers are supposed to be one of the best.

I will not be installing the cooler until I get my RMA'd motherboard sometime in March (part of the H67/P67 recall). I am just setting up the computer now with all the parts that I do have and the stock intel heat sink, which sucks btw (idle running temp when in ASUS EZ Bios was ~45C)

I ended up getting it for ~40$ shipped with some Amazon Credits that I had with 2-day shipping.