Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Best way to stream media to television via WiFi?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Accent
Default Best way to stream media to television via WiFi?

I know I could always throw a Mac mini on there and call it a day, but that's around a minimum of $2-300 (which isn't too bad, but I'll go cheaper if possible).

What about this Western Digital HD media thingy? Can I stream media off my PC onto this thing? How about Pandora? I'd love me some Pandora (roonnnggg tiimmmeee)

Basically I'd love to watch my movies and Doctor Who on my television without having to put a PC right next to it.

HA nerd collective powers engage.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First off, there is no good way to stream via wifi. For HD videos, the bitrate is simply too high. You can take your 100 mbps wifi connection and automatically chop 1/2 off in practice for a 50mbps connection at best. Then add on interference and other computers for 25mbps at best. Then add in your microwave and cell phone to the mix. You will have problems streaming DVD quality and you can forget about bluray or other HD video. You need wired connection for streaming video.

With that said... The Boxee box is scheduled to be released 10Nov10.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DSM-380.../dp/B0038JE07O

Boxee is based on the XBMC project and spawned from it. You should be able to take advantage of the features in XBMC as of at least 1 year ago.