Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Anyone using a Nest at home?

Old 04-22-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Elantra
Default Anyone using a Nest at home?

I want to step it up and make my home a smart home. I've been looking into the Nest smart thermostat, outdoor security cameras and the smart electrical plugs. I have an Alexa also so all of that can be controlled by her. If Nest isnt the way to go, what other options are there that can do everything the Nest stuff does?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I use the Ring cameras. They're cheap to monitor and easy to setup. Don't think I want/need the Nest.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:27 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Don't go with some cheapo manufacturer solution. "Going with" any device manufacturer solution is a quick way to get sucked into paying a lot and getting a little.

Start with a hub. I use Smartthings. There's also wink.

I have automated the heck out of my house. I have 30 switches, 2 nest thermostat, 4 nest smoke, 8 IP cameras, a Skybell(free 1-week recordings). 4 audio-voice announcers, 4 smart speakers, 50 door-window sensors, my kids bathroom floor is monitored for water, and my pool auto-fills on my home automation system.

I'm telling you, don't make anything the center of your home automation project unless it's a hub. If you want a door bell or a thermostat, go buy it. It's not going to be a home automation system until you get a hub.

My devices are all random brands chosen based on their merits and cost at the time I purchased them. If you try to make a system out of nest or ring, you get exactly 1-choice on a handfull of applications. I guarantee none of them will handle your pool