Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Anyone upgrade to Win 10 yet?

Old 08-04-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai Tiburon
Default Anyone upgrade to Win 10 yet?

Been reading some bad stuff about it and people are not real happy. Wondering if anyone on here has done it and what their thoughts are.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

rKHSZjq.jpg
Old 08-04-2015, 06:39 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I upgraded. It was a good experience. It didn't mess with my dual boot at all, like windows likes to do... The only problem was my headphone jack failed to switch from speakers to headphones automatically... I rebooted and it works great now.

Nothing bad to note, but cortana is pretty cool. You can set up 'hey cortana' like 'ok google' and it will give you weather and answer questions or Bing search.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yeah, that's not for everyone. If you're the sort of person who *likes* targeted ads, Windows 10 is for you. If you're the sort of person who gets pissy because you can't make it stop talking to Microsoft if you try, and by DEFAULT it steals your bandwidth, it may not be for you. Remember, when they are giving the OS away that means you are the product.

Me, I'm thinking 2020 may finally be my year of Linux. At the *very least* I always recommend to upgraders to wait many months before going to a new OS.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Yup upgraded on my tablet and my desktop. I like my tablet much more with windows 10 instead of Win8.1. The desktop... haven't really used it enough to compare it from Windows 7 I had on it before. Probably lean towards windows 7 to be honest, but the simplicity theme isn't really my thing so the looks of 7 are a bit nicer, IMO.

The feel and all are better than 8/8.1 for sure, the start menu is back in a way. Better than the odd way of navigating thru your stuff that windows 8 makes you start with. Never been a fan of computer "Apps"(don't confuse that with regular applications obviously. the whole flip screen animations and everything are annoying, no I don't want to use windows media player for videos, VLC and MPC do a much better job at letting me view my videos. I don't like the picture app either. I multitask on my computer and I don't like switching between the photos App and my desktop screen when I want to do so. But, just like windows 8 you can use other default applications, just annoying to deal with at first. I haven't messed with Cortana at all so can't comment on it
Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I haven't seen any ads.