Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.
View Poll Results: Do you have anti-virus or malware software on your phone?
Yes
44.44%
No
55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Anti-virus for your phone

Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Anti-virus for your phone

Saw this local new story today..

Hackers shift focus from computers to phones, other mobile devices

Posted at: 01/02/2012 12:06 PM

Watch your pocket -- computer security giant McAfee recently came out with a list of threat predictions for the new year and it's not pretty.

As expected, hackers are targeting your mobile devices more than ever.

We may use them like computers, but on the whole, we don't protect them like our computers.

McAfee says that will lead to more spam, more Trojan Horses, and lots of viruses targeted at phones and tablets.

Specifically, McAfee points to what it calls the "Hacktivist" community, "Anonymous" and others, who will hack your phone for reasons both cruel and altruistic.

Either way, it's going to be a pain the virtual neck for you, so brush up on your security.

McAfee (which admittedly has a stake in this) suggests you update your virus fighting software, but also use common sense: Don't click on links if you're not sure they're legit, and don't answer e-mails from organizations that don't normally communicate with you via e-mail.

In other words, treat your newest unwrapped computer like a computer.

How many of you have some kind of malware or virus software running on your phone? I installed some about a month ago from the Android market. Seems to do the job pretty well.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I use Lookout Security
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 02 Sonata

No virus protection on my phone. Guess maybe I should find something right away
Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Totally useless crap that only loads down the system when it comes to android...

Read the permissions list in the market, don't install third party apps, and know who you're getting the app from.

The AV stuff won't protect you from a zero day or a root exploit anyways.

My opinion, my flak jacket, my Nomex suit.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Lookout Security runs when an application is installed.

You can read the permissions list when you download, but seriously, is that your suggestion? It's ridiculous the permissions almost every app has with no apparent reason. You wouldn't be downloading anything if you only downloaded apps that had appropriate permissions

Common sense is the best antivirus. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but I haven't downloaded a virus in well over 5 years. Just be aware of what you're clicking on.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Hey wouldn't it be nice if your next phone could be used as a credit card like an EZ-Pass at the gas station? What could possibly go wrong?!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by majik
Lookout Security runs when an application is installed.

You can read the permissions list when you download, but seriously, is that your suggestion? It's ridiculous the permissions almost every app has with no apparent reason. You wouldn't be downloading anything if you only downloaded apps that had appropriate permissions

Common sense is the best antivirus. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but I haven't downloaded a virus in well over 5 years. Just be aware of what you're clicking on.

Android is linux kernel based, with a userspace running on a java based vm, apps are sandboxed except for the permissions they request.

Apple gives the app full system access to everything, including other apps data storage. (Not trying to start an Apple flamewar, just showing a difference the media rarely does.)

From experience, it's a biatch to get things to execute what they shouldn't, or in some cases should.

But nobody trusts the low level kernel guy who's worked on Android...

I'll shut up now.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I just take the risk hey, this phone has never had a virus though.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Sorry, I missed this topic.

It's a good idea if you sideload apps from third party websites. However, Google has taken to investigating malware and will remove apps from the market with haste.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by 300D50
Android is linux kernel based, with a userspace running on a java based vm, apps are sandboxed except for the permissions they request.

Apple gives the app full system access to everything, including other apps data storage. (Not trying to start an Apple flamewar, just showing a difference the media rarely does.)

From experience, it's a biatch to get things to execute what they shouldn't, or in some cases should.

But nobody trusts the low level kernel guy who's worked on Android...

I'll shut up now.

rooting your device breaks the sandbox. Also, this block of code will break the sandbox.

Code:
/* * Copyright (c) 2011 Adam Outler * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy  * of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal * in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights  * to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell  * copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is  * furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: *  * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in  * all copies or substantial portions of the Software. *  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR  * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,  * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE  * AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER  * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, * OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE * SOFTWARE. */

public String sendShellCommand(String[] cmd){

log.level3("\n###executing: "+ cmd[0]+ "###");

String AllText="";   

try {

String line;

Process process = new ProcessBuilder(cmd).start();

BufferedReader STDOUT = new BufferedReader( new InputStreamReader(process.getInputStream()));

BufferedReader STDERR = new BufferedReader( new InputStreamReader(process.getErrorStream()));

try {

process.waitFor();

} catch (InterruptedException ex) {

Logger.getLogger(Shell.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);

}

while ((line = STDOUT.readLine()) != null) {

AllText=AllText+"\n"+line;

while ((line = STDERR.readLine()) != null) {

AllText=AllText+"\n"+line;

}   

}

//log.level0(cmd[0]+"\":"+AllText);

return AllText;

} catch (IOException ex) {

log.level2("Problem while executing"+ arrayToString(cmd)+

" in Shell.sendShellCommand() Received " +AllText);