Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Android guys who flash... haha

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default Android guys who flash... haha

When I first got my phone, I told myself I wouldn't TOUCH the system or do any modifications..

After a few months, I finally decided to root, which at the time i though was super risky business. HAHA.

Lately, I have been flashing (and almost bricking at the beginning) like crazy.

I have a Samsung EPIC Galaxy S phone and the wife has a HTC EVO 4g.

In Two weeks, I have had 4 different ROMS, 3 different modems and 3 kernels flashed on my phone and 3 different ROMS and two kernels on the wifes phone.

When I started flashing the ROM on my EPIC for the first time, I made a rookie mistake and got a connection/brick looking error when I tried to ODEN. luckily it booted back up into Download and i flashed the stock setup.

Anyway, the point of the thread I guess it for everyone to post their flashing experiences and their favorite ROMS on each phone (since they are all different)

So far I have had the following combinations on my phone

Viper Syngergy 5.0

EB13 Android 2.2

stock kernel

was faster and flowed better than stock, but was meh and a bit bloated.

1700 Quadrant Score

ACS Frozen 1.2

EC05 Android 2.2.1

2.0 Genocide kernel OC'd to 1.3Ghz..

converted from RFS to EXT-4..

HoneyComb Fusion Explosion Theme

was really nice, very fast, flowed smooth.

2500 Quadrant score

ACS Bamboozle 1.1

EF02 Android 2.3.3

RFS to EXT-4 on flash

EG22 modem

Chris14g kernel

VERY VERY VERY fast, no working swype

3500 Quadrant Score

RandomKing Aplha HAWK (Current ROM)

EG22 Android 2.3.4

RFS file system (WAHHHHHH)

FH06 and then back to EG22 modem

Chris 14g kernel

Lots of battery life, pretty fast, no overclocking, simple theme

custom boot animation

custom swype

8 diff lock screens, GoLauncher Pro, CRT off, overscroll, etc.

1500 Quadrant Score

So far I am really liking the RandomKing ROM and will like it more when I have the aibility to adjust the voltage and OC it. Also tried to convert to EXT4 file system which really speeds things up, but was unsucessful.

On the Wifes HTC EVO.

Savage Mod 1.3

Savage Zen 2.2.1 Kernel

Didn't really play with it much, had some issues and didnt have any themes the wife wanted. HAHA

Synergy ROM RFS-1

Stock Kernel

Pretty nice ROM but the wife really wanted some different themes and I had some issues flashing themes made for the ROM.

Calkulin EViO 3 (Current)

Stock Kernel

Red Dawn Theme

Really nice theme and ROM, flows very smooth, lots of features.. most important, the wife loves her phone again..

Another Dumb thing I did in the process of all of this.. accidently partitioned my SD card that had 8GB of songs, photos, videos, backups, etc. yesterday

So far it has been quite the learning, trial and error, fun time doing all the flashing and made some mistakes along the way, but im addicted now. HAHA

I will try to post up the current look, feel, boot times, etc. of both phones later on to show people how both phones are working and such.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When you flash your phone alot, keep in mind that the risks are real. Be careful while flashing bootloaders on Samsung devices. That is the number one cause of bricking. Mismatched PBL/SBL, or improper PBL/SBL. Stay away from the generic ROMs like Cyanogen or MIUI. They can cause problems. With that said, I just thought I should mention, I provide JTAG unbricking service for $30.

Here is an app I designed which you can use to unbrick your phone when you see the Phone--!--PC. It was featured on hackaday. I think they did a better job of explaining it then I did. http://hackaday.com/2011/07/12/one-c...amsung-phones/ it's called One-Click UnBrick and it works on all Samsung devices.

I may charge for JTAG, but I've got grass roots as a Recognized Developer on XDA. http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=3682533

I just made XDA-TV this week for my work on unbricking phones without JTAG. This is a work in progress and nearing completion...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/joLiQRjWGV0

I'm currently working on Heimdall One-Click also which will allow the users to change ROMs on Samsung devices with ease, in the safest manner possible. My methods use a full open source stack from the ground up... Drivers, Heimdall, Java code... All open source. I intend to make Benjamin Dobell's Heimdall a total replacement for Odin3. So far the benefeits are safer, easier, all-in-one, works on all platforms. Odin3 has nothing on it.

I don't have much to say about HTC devices, but I can recover them as well.