Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

9 patch PNGs? anyone use them?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default 9 patch PNGs? anyone use them?

Not sure if any one uses these or knows what they are, but its basically a 9 section PNG file with some black pixels on a 1PX transparent border that tell the PNG to stretch around content.

I installed the Android SDK and using the draw9patch tool I created a bunch of 9 patch PNG's for the MMS.apk for a new theme I was working on. Everything looked great in the preview, but when i loaded the apk to the phone, the bubbles were all fugged up..

anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The 9 files are difficult to work with. Skinning is not easy. Its the other side of developing.

Working with an AVD is easier to test. Its quicker then an actual android.

You can get some better help on freenode.net in the #Android chat room. Live chat would be the way to go. I hang out in there and idle all day.... there's more active members there who can help you more then I can. Try searching for the topic on xda-developers.com. I go by AdamOutler on XDA and Freenode.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

from the tutorials, the 9 patch seems like a simple concept, and using the draw9patch tool, everything shows up as it SHOULD, yet on the phone looks like a turd.

I was working with RandomKing a little on XDA, he got it sort of working, so I am hoping he will help me out.

Im just hoping i can figure it out, because then skinning will become pretty easy and its more along the lines what I would enjoy doing on the android.. Right now I have a custom (NEW Message) background and a transparent black message background. I loaded a .zip for the transparent everything else and custom bubbles, but then I got a bunch of framework FC's so I am resorting to just modifying the .apk

this is what I got when I followed the turorial on android.developers when I tried modifying the bubbles..

for some reason the colors are off on the screenshot.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

woo hoooo i figured it out!!! just started working on this an hour ago!!

original WTF?

Rev1

after figuring out how to use patch 9 files and comile them it was EASY as pie.. created all the bubbles from scratch and manipulated them in photoshop, then used draw9patch ADT plug in and compiled them using the xultimate-dc9ptch.exe... the .exe took the png files with the patch 9 data and removed the dots/lines and put them into the metadata... blah blah.. but it works now!!! now onto theming more