Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Worth going to culinary school?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Elantra
Default Worth going to culinary school?

Lately Ive been in a funk and not really excited about my current career. I love to cook but I want to learn more so I have been putting serious thought into going to culinary school to learn everything about the art. I would love to become a chef in a nice restaurant or even maybe one day open up my own place. Anybody here dropped what they were doing for a living and started culinary school? How long did it take you to graduate, and were you able to find a job right away? Any other tips or advice you want to give?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you do what you love, you will love what you do, n'est-ce pas? If you can take night courses or something, do that while you have your day job, then see if you can jump to a cooking job.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

My brother has a degree in Pastry Arts from Johnson & Wales. He does top secret type stuff with Predator drones. He makes really good brownies though.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

To much money for what you'll get out of the gate. If you are that interested, find a CC with a good certificate or 2 year degree program. The whole 2 years will cost less than a semester at one of the big boy schools. This profession is all about learning and adapting on the job. School will only give you the essential skills and terminology, but these days you can learn a lot of that on TV. If you're not completely clueless about cooking (and it seems you're not), $40k a yr is way to much for a job that may not even pay the same when you start.