Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

What are Vegans not allowed to eat ?

Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tibby
Default What are Vegans not allowed to eat ?

I've been practicing becoming one slowly. But I belive that there is more to being a vegan besides just meat no ??
Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Vegas don't eat or in any way use any animal based products. No leather seats in cars, etc...
Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Being Vegetarian is what you make of it. There is no hard-and-fast rule. Vegan is a term with connotations* of totally avoiding all animal-based products as ^ was stated.

If you don't want to eat animals, then don't eat animals. If you don't want to eat animals that get hurt before they get cooked, that is also a way some people choose to select their food. Some people just don't eat things that could have gone on to have a productive life; if an egg which was unfertilized, laid by a free-range hen is not eaten, it will go to waste and rot in the field - the hen is too stupid to notice. A cow which is only milked during natural calf-feeding cycles would yield extra milk whether anyone drank it or not - to the point that it can actually cause pain to the animal to NOT be milked more than her calf drinks. Fish, crustaceans, and insects will twitch an awful lot from instinctive avoidance actions when caught/injured, but their nervous systems are too simple to experience what you would recognize as "pain" sensations.

*Nobody seems to care that, by eating vegetable products, vegan is depriving animals of their food source. The true solution to prevent animal cruelty is to starve yoursef to death!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stocker
Fish, crustaceans, and insects will twitch an awful lot from instinctive avoidance actions when caught/injured, but their nervous systems are too simple to experience what you would recognize as "pain" sensations.

That depends on your definition of pain. If you believe "pain" is an emotional response that can be controlled, then you are correct. If you believe "pain" is the brain's involuntary reaction to stimulation of nociceptors, then you are not correct.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how taking honey hurts the bees in any way or eating butter hurts a dairy cow. Based on vegan beliefs, they shouldn't eat plants either, as they are also being killed to produce the meal. Just my
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by i8acobra
That depends on your definition of pain. If you believe "pain" is an emotional response that can be controlled, then you are correct. If you believe "pain" is the brain's involuntary reaction to stimulation of nociceptors, then you are not correct.

I don't have the link right now, but there have been recent studies to show that the fish hook used in traditional woodsman fishing is as painful to the fish as a bee sting. They feel pain, so the process of killing them is exceptionally painful in all likelihood. Oh well. Death can't be fun be you have to eat to survive. For each of you vegans, I've made trips to Fogo and gorged on the muscle tissue of enough animals to render your strike null-and-void.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Save a cow, eat a Vegan.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

^Amen.....grass fed organic? LOL
Old 08-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS