Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Top Chef

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Top Chef

Anyone watch the show Top Chef? Kaitlin got me hooked on it, and I noticed something....the chefs all make their food look really cool with garnishment and so on. But the servings look absolutely tiny. I've noticed that other chefs do that as well sometimes on other shows. Anyone care to explain why chefs are all about presentation, but lack in serving size? huh.gif tongue.gif
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

The better you make it look, the more you can charge for it, regardless of size. As long as the flavor and style are there, portion size is not important. For some reason, high end chefs like to follow the "less is more" policy. Though I don't really agree with it, I sometimes find myself doing it.

What it boils down to I guess it that we do it because we can, and you'll pay for it regardless.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Not only that, but it's usually easier to make a little of something perfect than to make a whole bunch of it perfect. At least that's the way I figured. I know the less that I'm making at one time the more uniformly I can cook it and the better it comes out.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM

The best way to see it would maybe be to look at a cake. The whole thing has to be made to look good for the consumer. Let's say you buy the whole thing for $60. Now, if I keep it in the kitchen, I'll cut that same cake into 12 slices, send each one out looking just as good as the whole thing did, and sell it at $8 a piece. I just made $33 on the same cake by cutting it and selling it in smaller pieces.

The wow factor just seems to make people look passed the small ass portion we're feeding them, lol.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

No, I don't watch it. I prefer Gordon Ramsay's show, "Hell's Kitchen". I like his "in your face" style and the fact that he makes people (including guys) cry.

As for portion size... It comes from the fact that at high-end restaurants, most meals are multiple courses. The traditional Supper meal is 8 courses.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM

^Most times, only if it's a set menu will something like that happen. Still, in high end you can order the $45 rack of lamb and end up with 2 chops, a baby red potato, and a roasted baby carrot with a drizzle of demi glaze. Add a glass of wine for $12 and leave craving a #3 on the McDonald's value menu because you're freaking starving!

Gordon Ramsey is entertaining, but that's all. That is the most bogus restaurant show I've ever seen. The general public likes it for its entertainment value. Real chefs know that if the owner comes at you like that, you're going to stab his ass or just up and leave in the middle of service. I gave up when a culinary student won last season over like 4 actual chefs.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Again, at a high-end place, where you get those small portions, your usually expected to order an appetizer, an entree and dessert. Usually, the ingredients are far richer than at your average Applebee's. If you got "American" sized portions, it'd be 5,000 calories.

I don't watch "Hell's Kitchen" for cooking tips. I watch to see people break under the pressure and cry/quit.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 PM

You would think. I've been a chef in the #2 rated fine dining restaurant in the state of CT for the last 5 years, and people that come in here try to be just as cheap as anywhere else. Apps for entrees, only water to drink, ect.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, well... proof you can't buy class. When I go anywhere nice, it usually costs me at least $100/person. Don't do that often anymore now that I'm retired. One of many reasons I'm looking forward to going back to work.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 AM

We were used to doing nights like that. Now we're holding our breath just hoping people will come in and eat anything! It's getting bad. Guess another good thing about the small portion is we can make some money on it even when times are tight like this. Can't imagine being one of those family style mom & pop joints that throws a 10 pound bowl of pasta and a loaf of bread at you for $5, lol.