Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Toilet Water Coffee From Starbucks Puts Customers in Crappy Mood

Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai Tiburon
Default Toilet Water Coffee From Starbucks Puts Customers in Crappy Mood

Starbucks is known for their more pricey beverages like Frappuccinos and double-caramel-venti-seven-shot-soy-lattes. Venturing into any Starbucks during the morning rush hour commute is a true test of one’s commitment to the humble coffee bean. Suitcases roll on your feet, while someone elbows you in the face as they attempt to reach for the 2% milk to put in their red-eye only to be stopped by an empty creamer carafe.

Commuters desperately tap on the glass of the pastry case like the employee standing behind the case can see what the hell they are pointing to. Still, we manage to leave with our coffees in hand, and we’re happy for it. The struggle somehow makes it all seem worthwhile. That is until you find out you are literally drinking toilet water.

That’s right.

Who doesn’t want to wash down their morning bagel with a delicious steaming cup of toilet water coffee? Apparently the customers of the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong's financial district. This wasn’t just a “one time when the water supply was dangerously low and there was a medical situation that required caffeine.” No. The Bank of China Tower has been using toilet water since it opened, in October of 2011.

“There is no direct water supply to that particular store, that’s why we need to obtain the drinking water from the nearest source in the building,” Starbucks spokeswoman Wendy Pang said.

That nearest source just happened to be a tap in a toilet located by the store. As one might imagine, outrage was just one of the emotions customers were feeling. Kevin L wrote on Starbucks Hong Kong Facebook wall:

“Totally disappointed! The initial decision by Starbucks to use water from toilet is a clear sign of your company’s vision and the level of (dis)respect your company has for the health and mind of your customers.”

Though Wendy Pang from Starbucks said that the water went through a significant filtration system in order to comply with World Health Organization standards, the lack of transparency regarding the water source seems to be what is angering customers the most. Oh, and the fact that they were drinking coffee made out water from a toilet.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/45...in-crappy-mood

I don't know what's all the outrage is about. It can only improve their "coffee".
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

if it is tapping the feed line, it is still drinking water, no?

Isn't it all the same honestly? Not like they all probably filter their 'coffee' water any further anyway.. If they do, their managers and such are probably too cheap to replace the filters when they are needed...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

A lot of that depends upon the water quality standards and whether drinking water has extra treatment before being dispensed. It also depends on whether the tap water is even considered drinking water. Not sure how all that works in China these days.

Since I now work evenings I have been frequenting Starbucks in the morning lately myself. It gives me a (fairly) quiet place to get some work done between 8 and noon. Though, I find only a few brews have any flavor at all, but if Cafe Verona is on tap good times are guaranteed to ensue. It is true though, about the coffee "based" drinks. (Some don't even have coffee at all.) But really, what real person drinks that sh*t? It's fun to watch people come there just to be seen. It's great! The same people show up every day, order the same milk with a drop of coffee, extra whipped cream, super skinny, mocha-frou-frou defecation, then plop on the same netflix movie for 15 minutes and then bolt with that rushs exodus. Cattle, all of them!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

In just about any restaurant on the planet, the water the goes to the kitchen is the same as the water that goes to the restrooms. I don't see any problem at all with this.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

It's a psychological issue either way, I can agree to that. Coffee is brewed long enough and hot enough to kill most anything shy of actual fecal collection.