Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Should restaurants ban tipping?

Old 10-18-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Sonata
Default Should restaurants ban tipping?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/16/opinio...ing/index.html Recently, Danny Meyer, founder of Shake Shack chain, announced that his restaurants will do away with tipping. He plans to pay his staff higher wages and pass the cost to customers by raising prices on menus.

Is this a good idea?
Old 10-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

No. Allowing tips encourages high standards of service by the wait staff. The good waiters will leave for stores where they can keep earning good money, and the customers will follow when the waiting sucks and the food is more expensive.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I think it's a good idea. While there will be some likelihood that service quality will decrease from current servers in the short term, that will sort itself out. Service is already pretty lacking in many low-end restaurants. I'm tired of being socially obligated to give 15%+ to someone regardless of how good or bad the service is. A terrible server will still get fired.

I would like to see all taxes and fees included in every price on everything. Taxes are so confusing on liquor here that many places are doing that and it's great to know what you'll actually be paying for something.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I've never felt obligated to give a tip for poor service. Tips are for at least passable customer service IMO. You take a job that includes tips, and give shitty service? It's not my fault you can't be bothered to earn your money. Bad service? 0% tip. Out-f*cking-Standing service? I've gone over 100% tips on rare occasion.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I don't feel obligated to tip if the service is shitty. And that doesn't matter if it's the servers fault or not. If he/she is doing shitty work, then my lack of a tip should make them work harder. If it's due to the establishment (bad food, wiping tables, dishwasher, etc.), then the server will feel inclined to report the lack of tips to the manager to either makes things better, or the server will quit the crappy restaurant. It all works out in the end.

Tips or lack of, let the establishment know how the service is without saying anything. If tips are banned, then everyone will have to get confrontational in order to let them know how they're doing, or just not eat there.