Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Name brand versus off brand

Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Default Name brand versus off brand

When you grocery shop does it matter to you what brand you use? Have certain brands worked better than others? Is there a store brand or off brand that has worked better than a name brand?

Depending on the product sometimes you don't get the same outcome as you would using a namebrand. Like I have tried storebrand cream cheese in the place of philly and I didn't like the difference. I felt like the texture and taste was different.

My experience has mostly been the quality of off brands don't always hold up to name brands. But I also know you're paying more because of the brand name.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Depends on what it is. I like a lot of store brands. I REALLY prefer Kroger's frozen chicken breasts to Tyson for size, texture, and price. There's also a lot less "broth" added to get the bag weight. I cook A LOT of chicken at home, so I can tell the difference between brands. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand hasn't been too bad in the past, either, but I only go to Wal-Mart maybe twice a year.

I get Kroger brand eggs, cuz well, they're eggs.

Kroger brand Havarti sliced cheese if it's for burgers, Kroger shredded, but KRAFT 2% American Cheese for slices

Kroger bottled water > Aquafina or anything else

Kroger milk

I get name brand bread

Boar's Head Maple Glazed Honey Coat Turkey - I get a pound of this stuff every week from the deli

I'm picky on canned veggies - usually Green Giant because I eat it at work for lunch and they have the pull-tab can lid thingies so I don't have to use a can opener.

if I'm getting cookies or something, some of those off brand cream filled vanilla cookies are the best EVER, but I rarely buy that.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

it really depends.. ever since i started seeing the difference in price i have taken every chance i can at trying the off brands vs. store brands.

i would say about 80% of stuff i buy is an off brand (mainly great value) and I am more than satisfied with the comparison.

one time, i bought off brand ritz crackers.. MAJOR difference.. yuckk..

• off brand (knockoff) cereals like the malt o meal brand i tend to like more and they are significantly cheaper per ounce most of the time..

• blue bonnet veg oil spread is a little less 'solid' than I can't believe its not butter, but costs HALF the price. tastes great and never notices a difference in cooking.

• For boxed pasta, never noticed a difference from say barilla to great value.

• Great Value Cream Cheese vs. philly, never noticed a difference really in texture or taste and I feel I am pretty picky.

• Great Value OJ vs. simply orange, taste the same to me, both not from concentrate..

Also used to only buy Sara Lee and alike breads but I actually like GV better, not only because its cheaper but not usually as soft so it doesn't tear when spreading preserves, peanut butter or butter on it.

• GV milk vs. Creamland (local brand) only difference I notice is 2$ a gallon...

• Daisy vs. Great Value sour cream or cottage cheese, nothing noticable.

• Kraft vs. Great Value cheese, only notice like 15% price difference.

• fresh or frozen chicken, always offbrand after having some bad tyson experiences and saves $$$
  • eggs, always off-brand even though i like the 'stability' of egg lands best and how they crack (weird, i know) no taste diff though
  • always get kraft american cheese slices from Sams, since its cheaper than Great Value if you buy through Sams Club

• saw majik's comment on canned veggies. i don't hardly buy canned anymore, but when I do its Green Giant or brand name.. Had some bad experiences with 'grit' in GV canned veggies.

stuff like sugar or flour, i've ALWAYS bought off brand, so i can't really weigh in.

for me, the list could go on and on and on, but in my experience I have had pretty good luck with off brand (great value mainly) and probably saved hundreds over the years.

the best way to compare is buying one of each and trying them both out (costs a little more in the beginning but great savings over time)

also, a good point that some people don't consider.. sometimes off brand is NOT cheaper.. take a look at price per ounce (unit price) when comparing to see if and how much you are saving to go with off brand...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I guess the things I really pay attention to for name brands would include

Sandwich bread - I like Nature's Own, the big thick pieces of bread.

I really don't like off brand cereal, the few I've tried.

Saltine crackers (kroger brand just sucks)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

We get off brand of most everything. Occasionally if the name brand is very close in price we'll get it.

Bread we get from a factory outlet down the road for about $1.19 per loaf of Nature's Own. All different types of breads, plus bagels, english muffins, tortillas, etc. All for right around $1.