Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Making Jerky

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo
Default Making Jerky

Hey all

Does anyone here make their own jerky? I thought I'd try my hand at it today, but I've never done it before so I'd like to see where others have gone with their boot leather.

I'm using kangaroo steaks as a base, they are currently halfway through a 24 hr marinade of soy sauce, vinegar, tabasco, worcestershire sauce and beer. After that is done I'm going to hang them in the oven for roughly 6 hours at around 110f, or until they are dry. This is just a test run with about one pound of meat, but if it successful, I'll start making some batches.

Can you marinade other meats? I know beef is the go-to meat, but what about stuff like chicken or pork? Thanks for reading, hopefully we can get some recipe sharing here.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I've seen stuff like turkey and buffalo as well. I suppose you could do ostrich and meats alike as well...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I'll have to dig up the jerk seasoning recipe we use for venison and send it off-forum...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Here's a quick update. I've had the roo marinading for 24 hours, and now it is drying out in the oven with the door open.

I made up a seasoning of onion flakes, garlic, pepper and salt, and seasoned half now. The other half I will season in a few hours and compare the results.

*EDIT* I always forget to insert the pics. Whoops.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Nice