Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Five Guys raising their prices

Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default Five Guys raising their prices

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2855755.html

Yet another fast food franchise owner is threatening to increase prices because of Obamacare.

Five Guys franchisee Mike Ruffer said that any added costs associated with President Obama's health care reform law would be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices, the Washington Examiner reports.

Ruffer owns eight Five Guys restaurants in the Raleigh-Durham, N.C. area and reportedly said he has put his plans to open new stores on hold.

The Huffington Post reached out to Ruffer, who deferred comment to Five Guys headquarters.

"Mike Ruffer is a franchisee of Five Guys and independent business owner," Molly Catalano, director of communications and public relations wrote in an email. "He does not represent Five Guys on this or any other subject matter."

You can read the Washington Examiner's full report here.

Under Obamacare, employers with more than 50 full-time workers must offer health insurance coverage or face steep penalties. John Metz, a Denny's franchisee, proposed adding an Obamacare surcharge to customers' bills in November.

What's incredibly ironic about Ruffer's decision is that Obama is at least partially responsible for the very success of Five Guys. In 2009, the president gave the then little-known fast food chain a lot of publicity when he took a group of West Wing staffers to lunch at one of their stores in Washington D.C., a trip that was documented on national TV.

After that, Five Guys found an almost permanent spot on top of most lists of America’s favorite burgers.

Dear America,

Due to the increased cost of health care we will have to raise our prices in order to compete in our market and stay in business. The alternative is to go out of business, which will result in all of our employees being out of work. This is not a political statement, it is a fact. Learn the difference.

Sincerely,

Five Guys Burgers

Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Bastard richass business owners keeping all their employees employed
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 01 tib t3t4

they should pay into obamacare in advance for all of the open heart surgerys there food will cause. And dont think Im not getting a big bacon burger tomorrow with a grocery bag full of fries
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

You can gradually pay for it with slightly higher burger prices

You can also gradually pay for it through higher taxes

You can also pay for it in full at the time

No matter how you organise it, you have a certain chance of getting sick or injured in your lifetime, and that costs money to repair. May as well have it as a constant expense instead of a huge f*ck off bill after you lose your job for being sick.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^of course, and agree insurance for everyone is dandy but where's that extra influx of cash coming from? If there were more jobs and better paying jobs fine but its the opposite. And violates the now defunct US constitution.

Would you rather be neighbors with John Boehner or Harry Reid? I sure as sh*t would not want Reid lol. Have you seen him speak? He'd report me for 169 violations of county codes and strip me of all my belongings. Boehner would have a beer, sing songs, and compliment me on finding such a smashing girlfriend.

Obamacare was preplanned. It was known it was going to pass. It's going to make everyone equal. It's going to destroy quality healthcare. There's not enough facilities and practitioners to ensure Americans excellent healthcare.

Can't do anything now but this country is certainly in free flight mode now.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 AM

There isn't an extra influx of cash. The amount of healthcare that the country is receiving is going to be the same. People get sick regardless of their political beliefs. All that changes is how it is paid for.

Here's first world idea: let's make a healthcare system which saves money by leaving most of the population sick and dying!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

No sense in debating it now. Lets wait and see. There are major issues with current system, but there will be worse with Obamacare.

So far we've had a Democrat in office and got out of control lavish deficit spending, no budget because of it (which is then blamed on the Reps), furloughs galore, disabled government, constitution is ruled obsolete, increased government, and tax hikes galore so much that the previous tax hikes aren't good enough?

An I'm to trust these guys with my healthcare?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM

Who to trust with healthcare? The government, or insurance companies...

Here's a map of the world. Countries with universal health care are highlighted in green.

As it stands, the US healthcare system is trailing that of the following big name, first world countries:

Algeria

Ghana

Libya

Mauritius

Morocco

Tunisia

Azerbaijan

India

Iran

Israel

Jordan

Kazakhstan

North Korea

Oman

Sri Lanka

Syria

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Greece

Romania

Serbia

Argentina

Chile

Colombia

Peru

Uruguay

Venezuela

Cuba

Out-first-worlded by north korea and cuba
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

A few countries that have universal healthcare are not highlighted on your map. So what you have there is a map with some green on it. Iran and North Korea for example.

Also, just because some are forced to pay taxes for something the US paid via the individual doesn't mean it is any good or worth whatever tax came out of you or your property to get. North Korea is an example of that. I just watched a documentary that was filmed by a crew that came in with an eye doctor to do what is a simple procedure here, but is still a huge cause of people going blind there. Government control ftw? That or maybe it is a good thing in the countries that have issues bad enough that the government put you in the hospital for protesting other wrongs, that they could pay the bill or part of it? Once the Obamacare is fully implemented what is the difference in paying the government or the insurance companies directly? Everyone is going to be forced to get insurance or... pay a fine.

So, what was it you were comparing the US too? Everyone is going to have insurance here, one way or another.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:15 PM

just because some are forced to pay taxes for something the US paid via the individual doesn't mean it is any good or worth whatever tax came out of you or your property to get.

A dialysis machine doesn't care what pays for it: an insurance company, an individual, or the government. The cost of healthcare is the same no matter who pays for it.

I can see that people would use more of the healthcare system (ie it would seem that the efficiency goes down) once it becomes more accessible, but is that a bad thing?

maybe it is a good thing in the countries that have issues bad enough that the government put you in the hospital for protesting other wrongs, that they could pay the bill or part of it?

I was just listing the shitty countries that have good healthcare to make a point. I didn't mention that most of europe and asia also have good healthcare systems, and their populations have longer life expectancies to boot.