Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

First time making sausage this weekend

Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default First time making sausage this weekend

Just for epic derping I decided to make bacon sausage for our housewarming/Machomas party this weekend.

Shopping list:

Kitchener #10 meat grinder from Northern Tool and Equipment

1/4lb of pork casing

3x 3lb bags of Bacon ends and pieces

Hoagie rolls

1 bigass jar of sauerkraut

OF COURSE some Sriracha

and Wasabi brown mustard.

Results:

AMAZING bacony goodness!!

Took all day to make the sausages, but it was my first time actually casing my own sausages. It was a lot of fun though. Actually messed up by packing the sausage too tightly, they were about 1.5" thick and no room to expand when the juices started bloating the meat. They were vented but just seemed to split immediately and basically became bacon chorizo. I really should have reduced them 1/4 inch, but instead wound up starting them in a warm skillet to slowly cook the meat, then once solid enough, butterflied them and cooked the centers. Not quite grill friendly, though going to try this again with the smaller sausages. They render down to roughly the same size as a bratwurst, so long as you don't burn the unholy piss out of them there's plenty of tasty to fill a hoagie bun.

I recommend this recipe along with about 40 hours of p90x to work off the weight you'll gain.

I forgot to take pictures of the results due to the tempting bacony aroma filling my nostrils, I'll see if someone else took some and post them.

Also made a few that were 80% bacon, 20% slim jims, and a couple of 1/3lb bacon-only hamburger style patties (need to add egg and bread crumbs to keep that bad boy together).

And made "Macho burgers" which are 1/2lb patties topped with sharp cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, Sriracha mayonnaise, and finely chopped slim jims.

Needless to say we all had a good nap after lunch.

Then for desert my wife made gay bacon cupcakes.

Anyone else have epic food times this holiday weekend?