Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Deep Frying

Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Deep Frying

So, I'm thinking about buying a Deep Fryer. Everyone keeps telling me I should try Deep Fried Oreos, but I mainly want to use it for Chicken Wings and Fries and stuff. Not to mention, I hear deep frying turkeys at Thanksgiving is the way to go (never tried it). Do any of you have a fryer, and how do you like it? Is it hard setting it up with the oil and stuff?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It's really easy to use. We use to make fries a lot and I would cook chicken in it sometimes and things like that. It was nice for a while but we don't use it anymore.

I think you need a different deep fryer for doing a turkey, at least most deep fryers couldn't fit a turkey and all the ones I've seen that could say they're for turkeys. They might work for other things though.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 accent

Nationwide, there are more house fires on thanksgiving than any other day. You guessed it, most of them are from fryers, NOT ovens.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busy_squirrel @ Oct 1 2008, 10:19 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'>Nationwide, there are more house fires on thanksgiving than any other day. You guessed it, most of them are from fryers, NOT ovens.</div>
Yeah, you HAVE to be careful with those things...

MMMMMMM Deep fried Oreos!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Elantra(Dead project) 1986 Golf(Track whore) 2000 Ranger(Daily)

deep fried turkey is AMAZING. and i dont like turkey... lol
Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

We used to deep fry a lot of fries, but i would have to say my fav is Floyd's homemade burritos!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

My advise to you is if you have any intention of frying a turkey, do it outside. Get a hold of a burner and a large stock pot. Place the bird in the pot and just cover it with water. Take the turkey out and note the water level. This is how much oil you will need to fry the turkey. Also, it's easiest to rig up the bird on a couple of wire hangers so you can "hang" it on the side of the pot and remove it easily from the hot oil. Only takes a couple hours to do an 18-20lb. bird and it really is amazing.

As for the home fryers, they are nice if you do a lot of frying, but doesn't seem worth it to me if it's something you'll only use once in a while. Personally, a good pot, a candy thermometer and a stove top is all I need to get a makeshift fryalator going.