Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Cooking oil/pan/element question

Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 3.8 Genesis
Default Cooking oil/pan/element question

When I use my cast iron pan over medium heat and put some oil in it, the oil all falls to one side of the pan and parts of meat that I cook arent sizzling.

Is it normal for liquids to fall to the left side of the pan and is it ok that some of the food that Im cooking isnt sizzling?

There was an appliance repair person at my building that worked on the stove today but didnt want to change the elements/burners that seem to be unlevel.

It seems level with water but with more slippery things like oil it all falls to one side of the pan.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Fill pan so half the bottom is covered with water

Shim bottom of stove as required until whole bottom of pan is covered with water

There may (should) be adjustable feet for this purpose
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

If you coat the bottom by swirling the oil right before you place the protein in the pan, you will have oil coating the entire piece. Just tilt it once in a while to bring the oil back to the drier side to recoat it once in a while. How old is the pan? Are you sure the pan isn't slightly warped?