Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately

Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default 8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately

http://banoosh.com/blog/2014/04/03/8...g-immediately/

8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately

Many of us choose what we eat very carefully, or at least dedicate our minimum attention to it. But when it comes to drinks, especially alcoholic beverages, we do little to make the best decisions for our health. Which is a HUGE mistake. All the work for your body can be ruined in a weekend out. While foods and non alcoholic beverages are required to list their ingredients and are monitored by the FDA, beer does not belong in either. Alcohol industry had lobbied for years to avoid labeling its ingredients. Some to protect its recipes, but most – to hide harmful ingredients.

Here’s some harmful ingredients that are commonly found in beer:

• GMO Corn Syrup
  • GMO Corn
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • Fish Bladder
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
  • Natural Flavors
  • GMO Sugars
  • Caramel Coloring
  • Insect-Based Dyes
  • Carrageenan
  • BPA

& lots more!

Here are the 8 beers that are commonly found in bars in United States that you should stop drinkingimmediately.

1. Newcastle Brown Ale

The Newcastle beer has been found to contain caramel coloring. Class 3 and 4 caramel coloring is made from ammonia, which is classified as a carcinogen. “The one and only” beer with cancer causing qualities.

2. Budweiser

One of the most popular beers, or most advertised is Budweiser. Budweiser contains genetically modified(GMO) corn. In 2007, Greenpeace discovered experimental GMO rice in Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser) beer.

3. Corona Extra

I used to love Corona’s commercials. They were so peaceful and relaxing. That is until I found out that the beer contains GMO Corn Syrup and Propylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is controversial, and is said to may be potentially harmful to your health.

4. Miller Lite

This is another very popular beer in America that contains GMOs. Miller Lite contains GMO corn and corn syrup. It’s “GMO time”.

5. Michelob Ultra

Less popular but still readily available Michelob beer, should be eliminated from your choices. This beer has been found to contain a genetically modified sweetener (GMO dextrose).

6. Guinness

Guinness is often praised for it’s smoothness. However, several investigations proved that Guinness ingredients are quite disturbing. The beer contains fish bladder and high fructose corn syrup. High fructose corn syrup has been long banned from many stores and drinks.

7. Coors Light

Coors light is a drink that is very popular at bars and among college students. Mostly because its cheap. The beer contains GMO corn syrup.

8. Pabst Blue Ribbon

Pabst Blue Ribbon contains GMO corn and GMO corn syrup.

Healthy Beer Alternatives

So when it comes to beer you have to be very careful. Your best option is to find a microbrewery that you can trust. As with everything, try to avoid cheap, low-quality products. Bars may offer Coors Light, Miller Lite or Budweiser specials, but they are cheap for a reason. The rest of the world is banning GMOs everywhere, while USA is lagging years behind, and only several states offer GMO labeling laws. Try to stay away from any American beers. Choose organic beer. Beers that contain 100% organic labels, have to have ingredients that are all 100% organic. While an “organic” label just means 95% of it will be organic. European beer is most likely to be safe from GMO ingredients but unfortunately, most other beer contains GMO artificial ingredients, stabilizers, grains and preservatives, plus, HFCS.

GMO Free Beers:

Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)

• Wolaver’s – all beers
  • Lamar Street – Whole Foods label (brewed by Goose Island)
  • Bison – all beers
  • Dogfish Head (organic when ingredients available)
  • Fish Brewery Company – Fish Tale Ales
  • Lakefront Brewery – Organic ESB
  • Brooklyn – (organic when ingredients are available)
  • Pinkus – all beers
  • Samuel Smiths – Samuel Smiths Organic Ale
  • Wychwood – Scarecrow Ale

Non-Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)

• Sierra Nevada – all choices
  • Duck Rabbit – Brown Ale, Porter, Amber Ale, Milk Stout
  • Dogfish Head- 60 Minute IPA, Shelter Pale Ale, Chicory Stout
  • Shipyard – Summer Brew
  • Victory Brewery – Whirlwind
  • North Coast – Blue Star
  • Bridgeport – IPA (Bottle conditioned)
  • Ayinger – all choices
  • Royal Oak – Pale Ale
  • Fraziskaner – Hefeweisse and Dunkel Weisse
  • Weihenstephaner – Hefe Weissbier
  • Maisel’s – Weisse
  • Hoegaarden – Belgian Wit

Other

• Heineken
  • Steamwhistle
  • Amstel Light
  • Duchy Original Ale Organic
  • Mill Street Brewery
  • Fuller’s Organic
  • Nelson Organic Ale
  • Natureland Organic

Share This with Fellow Beer Drinkers

It’s important to expose companies that use harmful ingredients in our products. This information is hidden from the public with millions of dollars of false advertising, laws, etc. You can always vote with your money. As this information about GMO beers spreads, we will see a decrease in production of these beers and the companies may eliminate the harmful ingredients altogether. Most importantly, when you hang out with your friends, you will be able to share beer that’s more delicious and healthier.

If you have any additional information about GMO or non-gmo beers, or want to correct some of the information, simply e-mail us or leave a comment with evidence bellow.

Sources:

www.organics.org

www.atsdr.cdc.gov

foodbabe.com

www.greenpeace.org
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

GMO's safe or not? It's been debated for a while now. 80% of processed food in the US has GMO's in it, so getting it out of your diet isn't as easy as not drinking the above listed beers. Not too mention, one of the sources you listed is www.greenpeace.org, that says a lot about whether or not this info should be trusted.

And IMO - beer just wouldn't taste the same without Insect-Based Dyes and fish bladder.

Have you ever looked into food regulations? Did you know that there is an allowable limit for bugs and fecal matter IN processed food?? No joke, look it up.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

GMO's are not unhealthy all on their own. Anyone who says differently doesn't understand what they're talking about. Specific manipulated strains CAN be bad for you, but so can natural strains, or modifications made through the course of historical domestication methods.

The reason corn is even a crop is because people selected specific mutations with beneficial qualities. Natural corn (and many other crops) are practically useless.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

LMAO.... as a homebrewer/beer enthusiest I can tell you how funny this article really is. i've been on many brewery tours and I'm going to share a few things I've learned.

glycol never comes directly in contact with beer. think of the fermenter as a liquid to air intercooler... instead of boosted air it's beer. glycol is a coolant (food safe btw) that passes around the internal chamber of the fermenter.

why would a brewery go through the trouble of adding caramel flavoring to a beer that is made w/ malted barley which is typically kilned to avieve a certain flavor profile (most of which are a caramel flavor).

most of the domestic big boys do use cornand rice in their beers-... they've done it for years. I don't comprehend any reason why they would go through the extra trouble of getting corn syrup when everything they need is in the kernel of flaked corn that they're already using. I'd also like to mention that dextrose is corn sugar-... I use it to carbonate all of my bottle conditioned beers. it is a simple way for breweries to use corn sugar to dry out the beer.

fish bladder-... beer is made of water (95% usually). water profiles are unique to each and every brewery. they don't exactly reach for the garden hose and toss it in the mash tun. breweries are anal about their water it gets filtered through a labrinyth of filters to strip out anything and everything. it is usually tweaked w/ brewing salts to achieve the right hardness alkalinity yaddy yadda. same thing that happens to your bottled water.

natural flavors-... that has to be a joke.

insect based dyes-... why? using the malts that these breweries have been using for centuries provide the correct color anyways. a green budlight on st paddys day maybe.

but if you really wanna know why beer should be this scary thing to put in your body look up calcium bicarbonate, calcium chloride, gypsum, lactic acid, irish moss, pedicocus, lactobicilious, bertanomyces, gelatin, potassium sorbate, potassium metabysulfite, phosphoric acid, malto dextrin, lactose, nitrogen, and even oak. or that Guinness uses a small percentage of soured beer blended into all of their batches.

water, barley, hops, and yeast... it can be as simple as that. it's been brewed for centuries, it hasn't needed to change. let's not over complicate it. it's what saved everyone during the black plague.

why are corn and rice getting center stage-... wheat?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by 01steve
why are corn and rice getting center stage-... wheat?

Because the article was obviously written by an anti-GMO crusader. Corn and rice the most widely available GMO food stuffs on the planet.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Glad my Nattie Ice didn't make the list.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:22 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i bet you this guy totally wrote this article

"this beer contains GMOs"

"OMG BANT"

several seconds later

"SCIENTISTS MAKE POT ODORLESS"

"OMG PRAISE SCIENCE!!"
Old 04-13-2014, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Now THIS is science!

Not only was an extinct species of yeast reanimated!

It was scientifically found to be ONLY good as a brew.

Proof there is a God and he want us to be drunks
Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I would snap up a gold calculator watch in a heartbeat though
Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

These are the people that live all around me. It's a miracle that I don't slap the sh*t out of at least one hipster a week.

I will have to try the fossil beer.