The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Why can't people understand?

Old 09-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I find it so aggrevating! UGH!

Situation: I go to Univ. of Tenn. Knoxville, and I live in a 4-bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and another girl. Separate bedrooms, bathrooms, everything completely separate, we just share a kitchen and family room.

This weekend, I decided to go to NOPI Nationals in Atlanta. The other roomate is going to the UT vs. Florida game in Florida. I will leave Friday afternoon and return Saturday night. My girlfriend will be here alone.

Tonight my girlfriend was talking to her mom on the phone, and told her mom what was going on this weekend. Her mom starts telling her how I'm immature when it comes to cars, and how I'm not ready to settle down and take responsibility. I'm guessing this is because of the money I've spent on my car (which really isn't much, and she has no clue how much money I've put into my car).

This is the first time in 3 years that we've been together that I've taken an overnight trip anywhere with a friend. There was one other time, but my girlfriend was at home with her family, so she wasn't left alone. There have been a few times where her parents and sister have gone on vacation and she has been left home alone. I guess since I decided to go to a car show, that makes me immature and not responbile enough to settle down and make important decisions in my life?

What is your take on what happened? It kinda pisses me off... :?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Sept 14th AutoX

Dude, if you are immature because of cars, than I must be a teenager.

I'm 28 and car crazy. It didn't happen to me at the same age as my dad because of circumstances.

It's there now. It's my hobby and obsession. Your GF's mom needs to understand the same with you. It could happen now when you are young or much older. Look at Jay Leno.

Good lord.

What would she rather have you obsessed with?
Old 09-17-2003, 06:07 AM

Default Contreversi in Truno NS, CND

hey, I invite my G/f with me to fiat events... she rarely goes, but I do invite her. Her Mom has never given her grief about it.. but then, we are much older than you and I am a (struggling) business owner.. so it does make a difference. She is probably just trying to look out for her daughter.. it is how SHE takes that advice that matters.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:34 AM

Why don't you ask her to come along ? She may enjoy it too... my wife enjoy coming to car shows or too see me race when she can.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MitchD)</div><div class='quotemain'>Why don't you ask her to come along ? She may enjoy it too... my wife enjoy coming to car shows or too see me race when she can.</div>
I did invite her, but she didn't show any interest in going. Our roomate is going out of town for the UT vs. Florida game, and my girlfriend is doing her nanny work on Friday... and I have to leave early Friday to meet up with friends half way down there, so since she offered to take over my roomates job for the day, she isn't able to go.

My girlfriend HATES when I talk about cars... even if it's just asking her opinion on wheels or a CF hood. I wanna know what she likes, but she hates the idea of "wasting" money on the stuff I do to my car. She even gets upset if I say "look at that car" or somethin... like when I came home the other day from taking my roomate to class, I said "I saw 2 brand new amazing RX-8's... it's stuff like that, that make her think I'm "obsessed" with cars and care more about cars than anything else

SPIKE and Kate's car club (GroupOne) made the Kansas City newspaper recently, and I loved the way it described import tuning...
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"It's become a fashion statement just like shoes," Dearth says. "A vehicle says a lot about your personality." And for different people, it says different things....
"The possibilities are endless," .... "It's like fashion, just like you express yourself through clothes, you express yourself through your car."</div>
Old 09-17-2003, 02:37 PM

see, my g/f is pretty lenient when it comes to cars.. she even bought me one for parts I needed. She understands that she and I do not have the same hobbies and interests.. we have enough in common to keep our conversations away from cars and what have you though.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Blacktibs now BlackandBluePearlTibs??? My Ride almost done!

Yeah it happens I've been with my wife for 9 years. 9 years man and I can't stand to be with out here.but I still have my love for cars as well.and computers.She will get over it she just want's or is used to being with you evryday.but I think she can handle a few days.just tell her to go out with the girls and have some fun.tell her to make it a girls night out.:-)
Old 09-19-2003, 04:58 PM

Thinking about it... she is probably a little jealous of your car and your attention to your hobby. Spend some time with her and try not to mention cars around her. If you have to.. SCHEADULE your car time... Like say Tuesday evenings you will be working on your car.. and then stick to it.