The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Who Killed The Electric Car?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ever since I saw this movie "Who killed the Electric car", I've been so interseted in Electric vehicles. WOWO!! I never knew the GM EV1 was such a great car. You only could lease electric cars that Honda, Toyota and GM made. They even had the Hyundai Santa Fe Electric vehicle. All of those companies took the lease out of the cars, made the owners bring them back... and they crushed them at the junk yard!! Nobody knows why they did it. Perfectly new EV1's, Hondas and Toyotas, all crushed to death.. there's many theries.. but one theory I think is correct in my opinion: Oil companies gave the car companies millions of dollars to get rid of their electric car program.. The EV1s were blazing fast!! They even dissed the inventor of the Ni-Mh battery!!!

I"m so pissed.

Speak of electric cars, I look forward into looking at the Tesla Roadster at the Detroit auto show.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

the problem with electric cars is they have to charge up. i'll bet your theory is correct, but there are things in this world so deep we have no idea even exist. i'd guess anything is possible and you never know.

gasolene powered cars will exceed our lifespan brotha. believe me, it won't e for another hundred years something new starts to show.

hyundais car wsn't electric though, the santa fe was hybrid gas/electric and it was only done to up their image. what i'm wondering isn't going into research and development are hyrdrogen cars. what the hell happend to those?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^even with all that bush has said about alternaive fuels? I think we'll see gasoline fading out sooner then our lifetimes.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 PM

The problem with electric cars is that they will not sell. The market for them is very small even today is the same. Untill a electric car can go 500+mile and is not slower then a snail then we might see a model come out. Tho I heared GM might bring it back. I feel its the last breath of a dieing car company that will fail agin.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

ACtually the EV1 did fine. The average American spends about 40 miles on the road, or less a day. That's enough juice the electric car can handle. Then there's people like my parents who spend maybe less than 7 miles a day. The only time they use bigger vehicles like our Dakota , is when they travel long distances and come back with tons of stuff.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 AM

KR, you and I think alike

Not to insult anyone, but the electric car is here. While full electric vehicles exceed their battery's capabilities, Hybrids are taking large steps towards simulating electric vehicle operation levels.

If I had to buy a car in 2008, it would be the next Prius.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ what do you mean? They are wall-outlet chargable?

I might buy one when they come up with a standardized and rated battery pack that you can go to the gas station and swap out for $50, $40, or $30 depending on the life expectancy and battery's past usage.

Then again, thinking about the recall, the car recall could stem from the same thing the large scale laptop recalls recently came from... Overheating batteries.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

haha, I had one of those Sony batteries, they wouldn't let me take it on a commercial flight to Seattle.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 AM

[quote name='DrivingTibNaked' date='Jan 9 2007, 03:51 AM' post='270038']
^^ what do you mean? They are wall-outlet chargable?

Plug in Hybrids are the next thing. But they're still 5 years away. Next step is to use Li-on batteries on the next gen Prius.

Battery packs will always be expensive. But the pros still outweigh the cons, IMO.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 AM

Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all have hydrogen powered vehicles running around in California, and supposedly some mayor rents them or something. The problem with them is the only place you can fill them up is the research facilities where the cars normally reside. The technology is there, but chaning the infrastructure over to make it plausible is a monumental task, and you can bet that big oil would fight that to the death