The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Tranny = Boom!

Old 11-05-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I know Alex posted in my picture thread saying something happened to my tib. Well it's not the greatest news. I was driving to his place yesterday morning, going about 65mph when all of a sudden the car makes a popping noise, bogs, and rpms go down. I try to make the car go faster but the only thing that was going up were the rpms. I pull over to the side of the road, and see smoke coming out from the left side where the tranny is. I call my dad and he asks me to try going in drive, reverse, etc. I do it and nothing happens. Not a click, nothing, the car doesnt move. Starts up fine though. So I sat there obviously pissed off and upset. I call emergency and after two hours of sitting on the side of the road a tow truck comes. I get out the car and see a big puddle of fluid under the car..and I see that it's red. I said "oh its definitely the tranny." We get the car home and I took some pictures.

This is the battery..the fluid got on there..

and on the air filter..

And in the blow off valve, on the turbo, all over the spark plug cover, everywhere. Here is the tranny itself:

Horrible right? Alex said that since the tranny wasnt under any additional stress and it was a brand new tranny it might have been cause by the oil cooler i had installed restricting oil flow; this was the first time I had driven the car over 20 miles in one time which gave the oil the chance to heat up to the point where I blew the tranny. When i get home ill have the car looked at and ill post exactly what happened. Obviously, its tragic in any way you put it. It sucks. But hell if it was only the tranny and nothing else went wrong then now is the time where I will do a swap. wink1.gif It'll be cheaper and I wont have to worry about the cursed automatic transmission. tongue.gif
Old 11-05-2005, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Guess this proves that hyundai AT's really can't handle boost.

That sucks, sorry..but now is a great time for a swap right! You'll love it..trust me tongue.gif.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:17 PM

Zoned, what happened was unrelated to boost, like i said i was cruising on the highway, I dont push the car yet because we have yet to fuel tune it, so the car was under no boost. I actually talked to my father and he said that what happend was one of the tranny fluid lines was not tightened properly and the pressure blew the line off spraying the fluid everywhere. My dad said he reconnected the lines and refilled the fluid and the car drives again. I dont know how well though because i havent driven it, hopefully there wasnt any damage from what happened, ill update everyone around thursday...
Old 11-05-2005, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

wow. That sucks and hopefully it is running good. Also, hopefully there isn't any damage cause when you start boosting it around.....that might not be too good.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:33 PM

Ahh well, you didn't install it anyway right, but had a shop do it... so they would be responsible for damage from that anyway.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but now you can do the swap and I promise, you gonna love it!!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 06:47 PM

02.gif

Good to know you're okay though. Are you going to be able to get a new tranny under the warranty?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:52 PM

Oh your turbo'ed, why am i not surprised that Tranny failed?
Sorry for your bad luck though.

No way in hell is the warranty covered if you install a turbo. ... sucks 02.gif
Old 11-05-2005, 07:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I actually talked to my father and he said that what happend was one of the tranny fluid lines was not tightened properly and the pressure blew the line off spraying the fluid everywhere. My dad said he reconnected the lines and refilled the fluid and the car drives again.</div>

Read Topic plz you noobs. nana.gif

Either way, if I'm not mistaken she blew one before, and got it replaced elsewhere. Her having it turbocharged is in no way related to the line being lose. It doesn't matter, the person who installed it would still be liable for leaving it loose.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

i guess she just needs to clean the engine bay up good then

nice relief smile.gif