The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Title Work Issues

Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well, I really didn't want to bring my problems out for public view, but I need some help and opinions. Here's the lowdown:

I bought my car six years ago with a salvage title from Pennsylvania. My cousin has a body shop and agreed to do the bodywork. LOOOONG story short six years and a lawsuit later my car is finally done. I go to get the paperwork ready to put my car on the road, and I have to have the car inspected to get a proper Michigan title. There are only two inspectors in the county. They both REFUSE to do the inspection because proper procedure was not followed, which my cousin claims to know nothing about since he has never done salvage title jobs before (I call BULLSHIT since he has been doing this for 30 years.)

It boils down to the claim that the inspectors should have been involved from the beginning to inspect the vehicle before the car was even touched. Since this has been a 6 year ordeal, that would make things a little difficult. It seems to me the only role they should have is to check that the car is roadworthy and make sure it wasn't a chop-shop job with stolen parts. The title work matches, so I don't see what the issue is. I have photos showing the original damage to prove it was repaired, which is the only thing mentioned on the title needed for inspection according to Penn law, which shouldn't even apply as I am in Michigan. So now, not only did my cousin screw me for years, it seems to be his fault that I can't even get the damn thing titled.

What do you think my options are? I have the original Pennsylvania salvage title from six years ago. The inspection route may not be doable (ridiculous, I try to do things by the book and get told too bad, no go). I'm thinking maybe I can file for a lost title and it could come back clean, since there has been no record in Michigan for the car and it has been almost seven years since it was last titled? If the title comes back with the previous owner's name, I may get them to sign off on it if I explain the situation and show proof that I bought the car from them with the signed title I do have.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point, outside of illegal activity. I tried the legal way, and was rejected. I have $10,000 into this car so far, and I refuse to let it be a lawn ornament. Two other options would be to buy a duplicate car and use that title for both with duplicate plates. That would be costly and wrong. Another option would be to buy a non-salvage title from someone here if they have one available, also wrong. But at this point, I'm not sure what other options I have to get this thing on the road. mad.gif

If you have any suggestions or solutions, I could really use your help. I WANT THIS CAR ON THE ROAD NOW! It's about time I get some photos taken to show you what I have been building for the past few years.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

moooooooooore lawyers.

Or move.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Whats the procedure for salvage titles in Pennsylvania? Couldn't you just clear it there?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Kansas has no inspection on salvage titles, thank god.

i dealt with a real big b**** when i got temp tags for dweet's car in ohio, no way in hell will i ever want to deal with that again.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibbychick @ May 19 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Whats the procedure for salvage titles in Pennsylvania? Couldn't you just clear it there?</div>

The work was done in this state, and I don't have the forms, and I'd have to take the car there to have it inspected. Plus, who knows what they would tell me. Could be the same thing. Hell, I could get it to Kansas, title it there, and go from there, lol.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM

Tag it in another state then bring it in.. Or try for the lost title, as that's a no-lose item. Either it's clean or salvage and yer no better off.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM

From the SOS website:

Salvage Titles for Older-Model Vehicles

An older-model vehicle is defined as:

A vehicle 8,000 pounds or less over six model years old, or
A vehicle 8,001 pounds or more over 16 model years old.

Insurance Companies

When an insurance company acquires ownership of an older-model vehicle, a salvage or scrap title is not required. The insurance company simply receives the title from the insured and reassigns the title upon resale of the vehicle.

Individuals

Older-model distressed vehicles are titled as salvage vehicles only on a voluntary basis. Vehicle owners are discouraged from applying for a salvage title on an older-model vehicle because it is not necessary. It is also expensive and often difficult to obtain a vehicle recertification in order to purchase a plate.

Salvage Vehicles from Another State

A vehicle with an out-of-state salvage title, regardless of the model year, cannot receive a Michigan recertified road-use title until:

The vehicle has been recertified and titled for road use in the state which issued the salvage title, or
The vehicle has been recertified by a Michigan salvage inspector using the TR-13B recertification form. (The TR-13B recertification form is available only to law enforcement officers.)

Hmmm.... Well, I should be able to get a title without all the bs inspections EXCEPT the title I have is out-of-state. That seems to be the stickler. I may just have to go to the SOS to ask them what I should do.

By law, a vehicle with a salvage title is exempt from registration when driven to obtain a salvage recertification inspection using the most direct route.

Another interesting tidbit on the SOS website. I interpret this as saying "The vehicle has been repaired and is drivable prior to inspection."

Guess I may just keep looking for an inspector around my area. The guys I've dealt with so far just seem to be lazy assholes, which was my suspicion all along.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Honestly, if it was me and I went through all that to do it right and everything I would choose your second "alternative" option you have listed.