The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Removal Of Stock Airbox Lids

Old 07-24-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there's an Integra Car Club in my area. All of them are pretty much stock, except for one thing...

I talked to one of the Teg owners a couple weeks ago and he removed his airbox lid and now it sounds like he has a short ram/CAI under the hood at full throttle. It whispers at idle though. Isn't the airbox lids purpose to restrict sound?

It's so damn annoying because they'll all drive around town in packs flooring their cars at will just so everyone'll hear their so-called "intake". They all seem to have think they've got something going for them under the hood since they're too cheap to buy any real performance goods. tongue.gif
Old 07-24-2005, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

if you remove the lid then isnt the engine taking up unfiltered air or does the design of their air box different?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:38 PM

The point of the lid is to keep the "air box" dirt free!
If they are just taking the lid off, all it does is to invite Heat/ dust/ water, and other crap in the filter.

if they are too cheap to buy a C.A.I, then I'm willing to bet that they dont have a K&N drop in filter, so they are doing more damage to their TB then they realise. Since you can't "Oil" a paper air filter , haha.gif
Old 07-24-2005, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

They prolly have the incoming air go from top to bottom, oppisite of ours possibally
Old 07-24-2005, 01:49 PM

Would'nt matter where its comming in, since the lid is off, its exposed and sucking in hot air.
If hot air was good, then why are'nt people duct taping Hair dryers to their throttle bodies?

haha.gif
Old 07-24-2005, 02:56 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (x7xstring @ Jul 24 2005, 02:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The point of the lid is to keep the "air box" dirt free!
If they are just taking the lid off, all it does is to invite Heat/ dust/ water, and other crap in the filter.

if they are too cheap to buy a C.A.I, then I'm willing to bet that they dont have a K&N drop in filter, so they are doing more damage to their TB then they realise. Since you can't "Oil" a paper air filter , haha.gif
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Nope. They havent even invested into one of those yet. I've seen some of them walking down the isles at Walmart looking for K&Ns though lmao.gif lmao.gif
Old 07-24-2005, 03:44 PM

More of a grip.. so I moved it..

Honestly, I had thought of doing this when I first got my tib.. sorta. I wanted to make a scoop to match the tib's lines and then duct it straight into the box.. was going to flip it over so it mated directly up to the hood to make a leak free seal...

I just never had the guts to cut into a brand new car... so I never did it.. and soon found out about real CAIs