The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

One Laptop Per Child [rant]

Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31806/135/

In reference to the above article...

At first, I thought it was a good idea. Laptops for children in poor countries. I had mixed feelings about these children in Nigeria and Libya learning how to use computers when their country is dying of malaria and diseases that CAN be stopped. But I gave in; it'll help them develop skills and conceptual thinking so maybe they'll figure it out themselves that they need to filter their drinking water to avoid ingesting the eggs of parasites, that will eventually hatch inside of them causing illness and death (true story).

Okay, so here's my rant. We're making cheap, throw away laptops for people in these poverish countries. The so-called "$100 laptop" has now become the $175 laptop (according to AP). Why the big jump in price? Not sure... but you can guarantee large greedy corporations are going to capitalize on these poor countries, instead of trying to do justice and "help the poor."

"Quanta, the contracted manufacturer for the computers, will make about $78 profit per laptop with the new price."

$78 profit? On something that was originally supposed to only cost $100? I'm an internal auditor, so numbers are my thing...

$175 - Price of laptop
$97 - Cost to Quanta to manufacture
$78 - Profit for Quanta
80% Markup!

Does this seem at all unethical to anyone else? Help the poor countries in the world, but the markup will be 80%... I bet Dell wishes they could markup their computers 80% and still sell them

[/rant]
Old 04-27-2007, 12:33 PM

from what I've heard the price of the systems are coubled for personal purchases, when you buy one, you are contributing to give one to a child who needs one (forced donation). for countries that can barely afford them but have some money, they will get charged $100. Thats what I've heard on slashdot. you should search there for more info. I stopped trusting digg for news a long time ago.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

$100 laptop? $175 laptop?
Where can I get one? >_< I'm poor too.
*goes to read article*
Old 04-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator

remember, these laptops are very basic.

There are several articles concerning the price increase. ITWire has one as well that I just read.

These aren't laptops that we're used to. They're more like VTech toys. There is debate whether they'll run a Microsoft product or Linux.

These are VERY basic computers, but have wireless abilities including chat. Nothing similar to what we're used to. Remember, it's made for kids.

For more info, check http://www.laptop.org
Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 PM

From the way it's been built, you know it's going to run better and faster than any 433mhz you've ever seen.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

notice the power supply.... the yellow thing on the right (yes, that's a hand crank)
Old 04-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Yeah, isn't that an awesome idea!
I was reading about that on a different site. Talk about innovative.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

a handcranking laptop?!?! holy crap!!

i betchya REDZMAN and Mad-Machine remember growing up with handcranking automobiles tongue.gif
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

^owned.gif lol.
damn its like those flashlights. i wonder how long itll run? lol the flash light worked for bout 4 hours. but that is an interesting concept considering most third world countries have no electricity
Old 04-28-2007, 07:49 AM

I would love to have a hand crank on my laptop.. and my cell phone.. More than once I have had the battery die on both had inoppertune times.