The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

My Wheel Bearing Issue

Old 02-27-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

So I'm at 64k miles and I was too lazy to take it in before the warranty went up. It would have been the first time to take the Tib in for warranty.
I'm now in the middle of replacing the front two, although I think only the passenger side was bad. But after getting everything off the driver side, I started on the lower ball joint and the f***er wouldn't come off. I ended up tearing apart the bushing. Good news is the other side came off easily.
I took it to the nearest muffler shop and they said it would cost $60. $10 cheaper than Brake Check. He told me it was a lot of work. At first I didn't believe him, but damn! It really was. They had three guys doing different things and took them an hour to do it. It was a b****. Once they pressed out the old bearing, half of it gets left behind on the spline tube. So they needed to cut it off with a plasma torch. That took them forever and it kind of scared me. But in the end they did a pretty good job.

If all goes well, then the process isn't that expensive and pretty easy for YOU. But for the one that presses on the bearing, good luck!

$35 for the bearings at Advanced Auto.
$60 to have them installed.
An hour of your time taking off the hubs.

Why the f*** do Hyundai's bearings go out so commonly?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car is about to have 140K... ive only had to switch 2...

auto zone has them dirt cheap though.

Remove the thing yourself and take it to a machine shop..

You can have both sides done for under 50 bux..

Considering the PITA factor.. you got a good deal.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Do we know why the bearings go so badly? Is there something that we can do or someone we can consult to possibly remedy this?

Personally it's just a pain. But even to have somewhere dirt cheap to keep buying these things from would be great.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Fvcking shit!!!!!!!!!

The situation just got worse. After putting the passenger side back on, I noticed it wobbled. They must have f***ed it up somehow. The inside half of the bearing is loose from the outside half.
I guess thats what I get for saving $10 at Pepe's Muffler Shop.

I swear the car gods have cursed me. No joke!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

hmm i don't know why u would need a press for that. i did it with a hammer and some sockettes. i have had no problems yet.

the only problem i had a problem with was trying to get a non captive hub on a captive spindle. it doesnt work lmao.gif

they didnt press the bearing all the way take it back and next time check it before reinstaling by wigling the hub while the spindle is in a vise.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

take pix, do a diy. I'm at 50,000 and according to a poll that was run a little while ago, i'm about due.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You know, if you get stuck on that lower ball joint, take a hammer or sledge, and smack the lower hub arm on the side, right next to the ball joint pin a few times. Loosened mine right up.