The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

My Professor Sucks Ass!

Old 11-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

This is probably extremely lame to you all, but it has been annoying me for quite some time at school.

I'm an Architecture student and we have a project in which to put a museum on a small site. Well, the only tree there is a fairly large Pecan tree. The Pecan tree is native to Texas and is the state tree.
Here is the pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Sha.../DSCN1940-2.jpg

So, while others scrape the land and build over it, I try to preserve it and design "around" it. My professor says nothing about it for quite a while. Then we have a critique with jurors to evaluate our progress so far.
The juror immediately says that I shouldn't design my building around something that lasts only 75 years is already mature. I'm like, "huh? It only lives 75 years?" He says yes, and my professor agrees, except maybe adding another 25 years. I still don't believe them, so I go to work and investigate.

I found that some sites say that they, on average, live to be 200-300 years old. Some are found throughout the US to be over 500. So I'm like cool, I've got some facts to counter their opinions on me keeping it.

I go in today, and he mentions something about the tree. He then says how "sickly looking" it is. WTF? It looks pretty nice/green to me. I speak up and tell him what I learned. He then basically says BS and that I was probably looking at another species of Pecan. WTF?!?!

So I look again. There are NO other species of Pecan. It's part of the Hickory family and is it's own species. I then find a site where a family in Weatherford, TX owns the worlds largest Pecan tree. It's trunk is 8 feet in diameter and is registered with the National Tree Registry as the current largest. They estimate it to be between 900-1100 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think my building will be demolished before the tree starts to rot.

So, should I throw that in his face, or is this just a stupid arguement that I should drop?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

They are probally going to continue to prove themselves correct. I have a few friends at school that are studing architecture and i remember them telling my how persistant those judges are to get what they want. Some are real jackass's.

Its a tough descision, i would probally just get rid of it but with my luck i would then be questioned for doing so..
Old 11-18-2005, 06:24 PM

TO me i would pursue it since its the nature of the idea. Hes saying your wrong, you have the info to back it up and broke your right. I would do it! But thats just me.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Um... trees last for thousands of years. The only reason they die is because of natural disasters or from human intervention.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Slap him and teabag him when he hits the floor while you read off your findings.

Seriously man, fight the good fight, I got into one with my History teacher last semester, a REALLY good one about politics and such. He hated me. I got a C on the final because I didn't give a shit about the class but still got a A in the class because of my exceptional debating skills.

If you aren't wrong, you aren't.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you have debating skills? never would have known. lmao.gif

jon, keep going after it. print these facts up, from well-reputed sources and show them to everyone on the jury or whatever. it would be a really nice courtyard.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:48 PM

Yea some people are like that I hav a teacher like that know. He took like 15 points off for answers he got wrong and he made excuesses and such. I know I should drop it btu its hard to, for people who have to be right you may want to drop it because he may mark you down. Some teachers like to hear you have different opinions and such, but he sounds a little egotistical to me.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:54 PM

Put that farker in his place! I hate people that always think they are right. Print off your evidence, kick him in the nuts, and drop the papers on his face(taking a dump on his chest optional).

Have you thought about that poor tree? Maybe it's in desperate need of a hug.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:02 PM

LOL spainish.

anyways I'd stick to it. there are soooo many stucture's built around trees and they were just being jerks. I HATE teachers like that, the ones that don't think they can ever be wrong. they are the least knowledgable teachers you will ever find. Plus a museum around any courtyard is cool. 300 year old tree or not.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM

Yeah fight him on this he seems to need to be taken down a peg or two.

I would get multitple sources printed out, if I were you, so that you have so many sources that he can't repfute them all, because I have had teachers who told me that my source must be wrong or something if I didn't have multiple sources saying the same thing.