Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   The Char Pit (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/char-pit-47/)
-   -   My Opinion (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/char-pit-47/my-opinion-51827/)

lilo shark 05-12-2009 08:55 PM

i've been thinking about this for a while now. it seems that the rd's are getting old and if you look at it we're kinda like civic's now. i mean all my friends have newer cars and i get looked down upon cause it's a outdated car. like wise a civic old and abused; yes, it's taken years for newly developed stuff do get done with our cars, ex. evo turbo setups etc.

but i just feel that i have a urge to upgrade, knowing that my car is 12 years old and i've had it for 8 years.

it'd be nice for some of you guys and gals to share your thoughts.

REDZMAN 05-12-2009 09:43 PM

I'm picking up a Kia Soul or a Genesis Coupe this year, probably the Soul. I've thought about selling the tib, or giving it to my son, then I go drive it again...

I love that car. More than most any car I've ever been in. It doesn't have everything a brand new car has, but it's got a SHIT load more personality, not to mention my personal touches on it. I think about it regularly, but then I go on one of those nice fast fun curvy drives, and remember why I bought it to begin with.

Possibilities.

mwood 05-12-2009 10:51 PM

Personally...when i was not into upgrades and when i first bought my Tiburon i tired trading it in twice but i had owed to much for the deal to go though (years ago)...then i realized that even though its older and stuff i love it...

now that is has been paid off i love it even more...my first car i paid for, so its something i plan on keeping for awhile...eventually boosting it after i have fun with the turbo Accent

just today a girl at A&W told me she loved the look of it...put a smile on my face...

I love my Tiburon cuz of the color...its very unique color stock and i love all the mods i have done...and plan on doing fing02.gif

HyundaiKitCoupe 05-13-2009 12:05 AM

i agree on one hand, and the money that i put into it was a big mistake because i could have gotten something respectable. and i've come to a conclusion. so here's my rationale:

buuuut hell. everytime i look at my car, i just adore it. i don't smoke, but i do go outside to chillout from school HW to look at my car. every time you look at it, there is something going on. i love looking at it from various different angles because all of the angles represent perfection. all of the reflections morph, shrink, expand, flow, as you turn. you move a little, and it's even more pretty than before.

how many people can say their bumper is designed by the <u>McLaren F1</u> designer? best part of all is NOBODY else has an F2 bumper, or knows of it. especially a red one. there's only one other red painted F2 in this world i know of. tackle that Mini Cooper Club!!! >:0 No crook wants to f*** with it because they don't know what the hell it is and wouldn't be able to sell things on ebay, and it's too flashy to rough. Nobody can mess it up because it's already beat up and it's a POS Hyundai not some Mercedes so who cares. -All benefits.

once i was driving, and a HOT girl in a tiburon pulled up with a passion and gave me thumbs up with her beautiful smile. wish i could have followed her but that would have been creepy of me. i live for that moment. if i got anything else, how could i live with myself knowing there are no Tiburon girls like that?! no way. my Tiburon is my first car from high school. kind of stupid but my beautiful high school crush has seen it, and that's what made me fix it up in the first place.

i still get people complimenting that my car is nice. mostly kids sad.gif but hey.

the interior is utter perfection. it's smooth, sporty, and perfect. the seating is perfect. everything is in the perfect spot. all the lines, speakers, sunroof, mirrors, buttons, heaters, shifter...etc. are arranged in perfect places.

i still have SO many plans for mine and going stronger than ever but i just don't have cash on me right now. I still think it's one of the most beautiful cars in the world representing perfection of design. afterall, the history of the car is so great. three words to sum up a long story: California, Rally, Design. this car was designed in California as a rally coupe, and a surfer's beach buggy. that alone reflects my attitude and i don't think any other car can sing that sweeter. no other car has a rally history that can say, "I've been driven by Colin McRae's (RIP) brother and I raced against legends Tommi Makinen, Carlos Sainz, and Richard Burns in the glory days of the World Rally Championship" (by the way those are historical days this is the last year of WRC spec).

so you see lot going on here but i'm an exception. i'm a stubborn guy who doesn't understand why people like something that i think is ugly. for instance people who like Civics. i think "you've got to be joking man. they're everywhere including the definition of rice fields, nothing special, sporty, or attractive about them, it's Hun-duh they're driven by anyone anything everywhere, the word "civic" means commute. WTF is your logic mann?! *feels the need to slap somebody upside the head*...etc" and to my incomprehension and confusion apparently people are not joking!

supercow 05-13-2009 06:46 AM

^^I think the only real advantage to a civic is the tremendous amount of work/aftermarket support it's had over the years. Well really any Honda coupe. They have so many different tuning options specifically designed for them it can make any tuner envious.

oh, and I keep mine because I love the car. When it comes to car guys it seems there are two different types. Those who keep a project car for decades, continually upgrading and fine tuning (and catching it on fire). Then there are those that buy a car, do a whirlwind of tuning/upgrades. Then proceed to get bored and sell it. It seems you must be in the first since you've had the car for 8 years.

frozen 05-13-2009 11:00 AM

I still think the RD tibs, especially the RD2's, look more like a 2003-2004 car. And as others said, the lines just flow, they are perfect. I've never thought about getting another REAL car since I've had my tib. When I decided to go turbo, I decided I will never sell the car, and I will drive it until it falls apart and goes to the junkyard. It's a great reliable car with a solid engine. The interior is kind of cheap, but it's an excuse to paint it and do some custom work.

The tibby is a huge part of my life. I've probably spent more time working on that car than I have driving it, especially since it hasn't moved in a year and a half. When you have that amount of time, money, and emotion poured into something, you don't let it go. I'm going to be buried in my tib.

Also, the only way I would get another tib is if I got rid of this one. I'd feel like I'm cheating on her.

lilo shark 05-13-2009 03:04 PM

unfortunately i didn't pay for my car but it was a gift from my dad when i was 15 1/2 yrs old. i still love the car but i swear everytime i fix something later that week something else goes. ofcourse you'd expect that from a 12 year old car. i've had too many good times in the car. just last summer when i paid eric a visit in Milwaukee i got flashed on the highway, it was a smile for there and back. thing is out of all my buddy's i'm the only outdated one they all have evo's, sti's, s2k's, and one has a rx8. so going class wise i'm already out ranked but i know those guys can't get the mileage i get and maintience is easier on me. i'd do more to my car but since i traded in the Audi A6 last spring for a 07 Corolla S, i've not got the time to be putting much into the tib. i know i have a rare color and one of the first tibs in the states. there's almost endless possibilties now for the tib but i'm just dreeding the fact that i'm spending more in repairs now then upgrades.

yes, spoiled me when i go the car it was paid off, but i had to show my dad that i deserved the car. before i was married i loved the car drove it everywhere; now it's just old and beat up, not literly. the body is still in great condition but yesterday when i was the car i did notice i'm getting that honda rust in the back. i have a co-worker who has a bodyshop but if get the body fixed i'm not going to want to drive it during winter.

the biggest thing i want to keep the car is i'm the ONLY ASIAN with one around my area, so everyone knows me as "the tib".

HyundaiKitCoupe 05-13-2009 03:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>evo's, sti's, s2k's, and one has a rx8.</div>
how many of those are everywhere? anywhere! plus they're paying for high octane. and turbo engines go sooner with more problems later than any car.

i know rich people in poland that i saw last year for the first time since early childhood. their car was an 80's corolla. awesome car. they invited us for an exclusive dinner last year and i said "yeah life is same old tough, and we haven't even changed cars" and to my surprise he pointed to his--the one i remember when i was like 3 years old LOL.

what's wrong with the car besides rust? mine is also 12 years old and beat up like yours but it's all a matter of how you keep it. mine needs a lot of work but it doesn't. i haven't had a problem besides the transmission going on me because of "horseplay driving." plus i had a transmission fluid change done which was unnecessary and ruined it.

to be honest it doesn't make sense to keep it. better sell it while it still can be sold. but if it comes down to uniqueness and passion, no f---g way. a friend used to own a red 300zx 2+2 Targa. i swear all it needed was about $4,000 maybe $5,000 worth of work to be a brand new sweet hooked up car. new transmission, stainless exhaust, some interior re-upholstry, bodykit, new paint and some HID's and hell you've got a damn Ferrari. maybe some BBS polished silver dish rims. NOPE he sold it for $800 and bout a 2004 Z for $27,000. ok it's new and takes him places but is he unique? no. is he impressive? no. do the new Z's suck ass and are everywhere? yes.

Role Reversal 05-13-2009 04:44 PM

^^^^^

haha.gif

What ever helps you sleep at night.

Tib001 05-13-2009 05:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"to be honest it doesn't make sense to keep it"</div>

To be honest it never made sense to buy it. I bought my tib because I liked it not because it made sense.
It wasn't practical, the resale value wasn't there, and Hyundai was relatively new to me at the time.

Seriously the only reason I bought it was warranty, looks, and price. I had never been in a hyundai or even looked at them before I found the tiburon.

I have been having the same thoughts of is it worth it...

Lets see I bought it new in 2000 and paid 20k after tax and interest on payments.
I will end up putting about 6k into it for repairs and mods total by the time im done.
When I'm done If I were to sell it id get about 5500.00 if I'm lucky.

So a 26k investment over 9-10 years = 5k?!!?? Depressing much?

It seems like it comes down to a few options for those who are having this dilemma:

If you love your car, keep it fix it and make it how you want it and be happy with it. Regardless of who has what car and how fast it is, its yours and if you like it thats what matters!

Sell it now and upgrade if you find a car that you really feel will make you happier and satisfy your needs. Be it practicality or speed.

Keep it and run it into the ground just as a car to get you from here to there nothing more.

It just comes down to how you feel about the car and if it fits with what you want.

I personally think I will keep mine untill its dead. I know its a challenge to find parts and upgrades and sometimes have to have custom stuff made or make it yourself, but it wouldn't be any fun then would it?