The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Lousy Roommate

Old 06-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a 3 bedroom apartment (one bathroom) at college with two other guys. One is like my best friend, I have no problems with him. The other is an okay guy (Jeff), but I think he's a terrible roommate.

I met him because I lived on the same floor in the dorms last year and he was interested in getting an apartment with my friend and I. So I said fine it'll be okay. Last year, he had one roommate (Rob) for first semester, and then because of some differences between the two of them, the roommate left. Jeff said that Rob was the problem - he was the bad roommate.

Now I'm starting to believe, that in fact, Jeff was the bad roommate.

Here's what happened today, which ticked me off a lot. I've got 8AM classes everyday and I get up around 6:45 to shower, because I want to get the shower before anyone else does. This is EXTRA early for me, but I go out of my way to do so. This morning, my alarm goes off at 6:45 and I'm getting out of bed, when I hear the bathroom door shut, and the shower instantly turns on.

That bastard just weaseled his way into the bathroom before I did, even though he knows I get up at this time everyday. He takes a 10 min shower, and then is doing washing up in the sink I guess, and I just can't wait for him anymore, so I knocked on the door. He comes out and says to me, "See...it's not even 7 yet"

WHAT THE HELL?

It's one thing, if he would have told me that he was going to shower then, or if he even NEEDED to shower then. He doesn't even have class until the late afternoon.

Also, I swear he's in the bathroom at least twice an hour. If not to check on his hair, or brush his teeth, or take a ****, or whatever. I think he's a goddamn vanity freak.

Other notable annoyances:
- Puts his food and stuff in almost every cupboard/cabinet, leaving not very much room for the rest of us. *Including the fridge and freezer.
- Sometimes eats my food and drinks my stuff (cuz he thinks they're his). *Note: I have no problem sharing, but I asked him in the beginning, and he insisted that we just get our own stuff.
- Uses my dishes and then piles them in the sink and expects me to wash them, since they're my dishes.

Ughhhhh!!!!

What do I do? Any suggestions?

I want to do something to show him that I don't play on the same level as him - rather, I'm higher than him. I'd split out of this apartment, except I've signed a lease already until next year.

Sorry for the long read.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:23 PM

You should probably just fight him...he'll get the message.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Go shit in his sock drawer.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

bust a nut on his pillow
Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
Or in his girlfriend.

lmao.gif
Old 06-22-2005, 02:42 PM

in all reality i had a bad roommate

i ended up tellin him at the end of the lease he will not be going to sign up again

he ended up moving a month after i told him that (he paid for the month in advance and wanted a refund we laughed and said no)
Old 06-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Just straight up tell him to cut the shit out.

Lay down rules if you have to...a)don't touch anything of MINE, including dishes, food, drink etc.

Set up "shower times" where the bathroom is YOURS for that time, like when you need in the morning.

Same for him - he gets certain shower time before work/class that you can't touch.

If all else fails, kick him out and search for a new roomy.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:13 PM

I've had my share of bad roommates.

The first one was a pathological liar, stole a bunch of my and the other two roommates' stuff, and was running some sort of scam from the apt. Some seriously shady characters came by on several occasions (drinking my beer too damnit). We ended up having him arrested and kicked out of the apt, had to get the locks changed, etc, and our cars were later vandalized despite a restraining order. And he was a total Ahole. But we cheered when the cops slapped the cuffs on him.

The second bad roommate turned out to be the biggest dealer of weed in Harrisonburg. I don't want to know how many pounds came through our apt, but when I saw that he had a bunch of dwarf plants in his room, I made him get rid of it all. Police would come to our apt complex every weekend for party busting, I didn't need that kind of risk. I discovered after I moved out that he had put a gouge on every single CD and DVD I owned, probably 300 in all, and not a single one would play. Fortunately, I owed him $200 for the final utility bill, which he didn't get. But that didn't come close to the value of what he destroyed. I would have sued but he left the state.

So, I think you have it easy. smile.gif Both the above people seemed perfectly normal when I first met them.

With the food issues, you need to put the rules in writing and post them in the kitchen. Sounds anal, but otherwise get used to it. Designate a space in the cabinet/fridge for your stuff, label it even. And if the rules don't work, keep only as many dishes/utensils as you need for yourself, store the rest, along with cookware, in your room. Let your roommate get his own if he can't clean up after using them. It sucks to have to take such measures, but it might be the only way.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:16 PM

dam that sucks
Old 06-22-2005, 03:17 PM

Lock the cabinets with your food and dishes and such in them smile.gif . Then like Redz said screw his GF and be happy with life lol.