The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Lifeguards That Dont Know How To Swim...

Old 07-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well i was at the lake and there is this place that people jump off a cliff into some water... i was jumping off the cliff with my brother in law and swam back to the exit of the pool of water

i get out and someone yells "A KID JUMPED OFF AND HASNT SURFACED" the lifeguard who btw was SLEEPING gets up after about 2 minutes after someone ran and woke him up and takes his shirt off and dives in then surfaces like a few seconds later and yells i cant swim very far down

ok who in there right mind would apply for a job like that and not be able to dive down more than like 10 feet... people are screaming for help and no one would jump in until one guy finally dived off the cliff to get himself a little further down (he almost blacks out he dived so far down....) comes back up with nothin

we are all freaking out only to find out that the kid is a better swimmer than we thought and he swam to the exit rather quickly....

moral of the story- if your gonna jump off a 30 foot high cliff into a pool of 60 degree water that goes down 300 feet YOU BEST KNOW HOW TO SWIM cuz no one is gonna jump in to save your ass
Old 07-03-2006, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

what the hell? is this like a publicly sanctioned area for jumping offa cliff or something? there's a lifegaurd on duty? i sorta was always under the impression that when i go jumping off of bridges/cliffs/rocks into water I'm sorta my own responsibility and if I die it's on me....
Old 07-03-2006, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

doode yeah this is in a public place witha lifeguard on duty....

he was lettin people do ANYTHING they dam well wanted to do this includes lettin a group of people lift you up in the air and throw you in, jumpin from the top of a tree into the water hell your only supposed to jump off this cliff and people were runnin and jumping over a fenced 3 foot wall (they had to clear the cliff thing so thats like a 20 foot leap of faith...) hell people had DOGS jumping off the cliff

yup thats a quality lifeguard right there...

which also brings me to my gripe against parents

cuz his parents were in the car when he was jumpin off the cliff and he was like 7....
Old 07-03-2006, 09:29 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

oh snap..
Old 07-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, I feel you on that second one. When we went to Soda Dam last year we were getting out of the big warm pool next to the waterfall where everyone cliff jumps. These 2 kids, maybe 6 and 8 years old, both Natives, jumped in with all their clothes on from about 8 feet up. One came up, the other didn't, people were all sitting there screaming and pointing so I jumped back in. The older kid grabbed the younger one and managed to get him up a bit out of the water but started going under himself. It's really strong in current right there and VERY deep, hence the cliff jumping, so I grabbed that kid, who COULDN'T SWIM, pushed him up to my wife, but the kid was stuggling really bad and kicked me under. I grabbed the older kid by the feet and pushed up for all I was worth, pushing him up far enough that my wife could grab his hand. One kid lost both his shoes, the other lost one. Anyways, I struggled to swim back up to the top, and got a few mouth fulls of that nasty water, being that it's heated by the springs, it's got all sorts of nice stuff in it. I was sick for a week.

Long story come to an end now, the 2 kids cried for a bit, shaking in eachothers arms, then their parents finally came out from the other side of the dam and yelled for the kids. That was it. The kids left and got in trouble for LOSING THEIR SHOES!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:16 AM

WOW you have to love so parenting going on now a days. Everyone knows cliff jumping is not safe. Glad there were people there to help the helpless.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye, its sad. I think they hire a lifeguard just because they are required to do so (at least here), and don't really check into his/her swimming abilities.

Around here though, all the lifeguards swim pretty good, but of course, we don't have any cliff jumping.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:31 PM

I'm a lifeguard and by law well here in NJ, the state that doesn't have a gov't right now, requires us to be able to dive to a depth of 9 feet retrive a 10 pound brick and swim i think 75 meters or feet back without using your hands...thats just a sh*tty lifeguard you had today. Oh yea, we have to swim 500 yards as well...this is for public bathing...lakes, beaches are obviously different but if the test requires this then that must be a private owned lake, like a national park or something like that, that hires guards and asks can you swim then hands them a tube. you can file complaints and press charges against us for matters like this because we are "first responders" and should have some sort of idea on what the hell were doing.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i find it weird that a place like that would have a lifegaurd
Old 07-04-2006, 06:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When I worked in Hyannis I used to go to the gym at the YMCA there which had two indoor pools. One of the lifegaurds that worked everyday was completely covered in hair from head to toe and weighed probably close to 400lbs. He could barely get off the observation chair. He looked like a grizzly bear. I always stayed with my kids when they went for swimming lessons because I was pretty sure if that guy had to go in he would immediately sink to the bottom.