The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Kids in Restaurants

Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tib
Default Kids in Restaurants

I took my gf out to dinner the other night. Not exactly a top-of-the-line place, but it was mid-scale. I don't know where they came from or what they were thinking but 4 different families were seated after us, each with at least one child under the age of 6.

What I can only describe as a nightmare ensued... kids running around chasing each other, throwing silverware, kicking the walls, beating on the tables and chairs, screaming and shrieking so much I thought the glass was going to shatter. Which ruined what I hoped would be a decent meal. It's not a cheap place. Children don't belong there. There isn't even a kids menu. If it was, oh I dunno, Applebees or something I could maybe, maybe, understand.

When I was growing up... #1: My parents didn't take me to a decent restaurant until I was old enough to keep quiet through a meal. #2: Had I acted out like that I would have been dragged (kicking and screaming) outside and had the snot beaten out of me. What is it with parents these days and their inability to keep children quiet and under control? Does Generation X just not care how their kids act in public?

Surely I can't be the only person who is irritated to no end by kids acting out in restaurants and parents failure to do their job and keep things restrained.

My proposal is this... since many states have banned smoking in restaurants, the former smoking sections should be turned into the "Kids Corner" and any family walking in with children under the age of 10 shall be seated there. Keep the undisciplined rambunctious gremlins away from me and my gf while we enjoy our night out.

Other opinions?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

+1 man, I totally know what you mean. The parents of those kids should be ASHAMED of themselves for not having the decency to raise their kids properly. Honesly, if you don't know how to properly discipline your children, you should not have them in the first place. "Oh, but I don't want to hurt their feelings by disciplining them!" That's the lamest non-excuse I've ever heard. You'd rather not hurt their feelings rather than let them act like primates???? IN PUBLIC????? You know why they screem and are wild? Because you let them. It may be in their nature to do so, but they'll only do what you allow. If you don't allow screaming and shrieking in public, then they won't do it. Simple as that. They'll throw a fit if you try to stop them, but they'll throw a fit if you don't stop them either.
I hate seeing families raise kids where the kids are in control rather than the parents. It's inexcusable, embarrassing, and irresponsible of the parents, not to mention lazy.

Sorry, you sorta hit a nerve...

/rant
Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I would get hit on the spot if i acted out at all. That includes eating with my elbows on the table or not saying please and thank you.

I love that my parents disciplined me as they did, or i wouldn't be the person i am today.

I went to a TGI Fridays the other day with the mrs. and had the same occurrence with just one child, the family came over to my table after their meal and apologized. I did appreciate that.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My kid makes no noise when we are out except to ask to pass the salt. She is 5.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Actually, ketchup, not salt.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

DTN you have a kid?! i never knew this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I hate seeing families raise kids where the kids are in control rather than the parents. It's inexcusable, embarrassing, and irresponsible of the parents, not to mention lazy.</div>

When i used to work at the restaurant, this rich b*tch woman came in and her 8 kids threw sh-t all over the place, once per week for 3 years.

what else did you expect in Maryland? the only good value good service places are some of the Chinese restaurants really. the rest all either rip your wallet, or give you bad service/food/accommodations. hell, there are no really good places here i can think of. everything is pretty much capitalist food chain.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Doesn't matter what class of place you are eating in. I work almost as high as you can get in the dining class, and we too have the little kids that the parents don't want to take responsibility for. That's what happens when you pay someone else to watch your kids all day and then take them out and can't figure out why they're acting out of line. Spend some damn time with your kid and teach them how to act in public. Stop worrying about your damn money for a second! All the money in the world doesn't stop you from looking like the douche bag with the brat that won't shut up!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I think the problem is more basic. People don't want to pay a babysitter or they're afraid every babysitter is going to beat their children senseless. They believe that having children is not supposed to affect their social lives, so they go out to the same places they used to, but now they bring their kids. The problem is a lack of consideration and common sense. This is why I also see little kids in R-rated movies at 9pm or later.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (i8acobra @ Oct 17 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This is why I also see little kids in R-rated movies at 9pm or later.</div>

one of the great things about this area. the local movie theaters dont allow kids into r rated films after 8. sucks when you are going to go see a 3 hour movie and dont get out til 1am NOTHING is open by then and since this town is so small, cops WILL pull you over to check if your drunk

Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I normally yell at the kids. I'll tell them to shut up and sit down.

If my kid did that, she would be severely punished and she knows it. Unless you can see her, you would never know there was a kid in the restaurant.