The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

The "Jed Experience"

Old 04-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I will begin with posting a direct link to the explanation, then summarize what happened.
http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=49857

Jed, a long standing member of Hyundai Performance, and an avid Hyundai Pony tuner (if you don't know what it is, don't ask. It's just an old mid-80's car).

Recently, HyundaiPerformance.com has been loading very slowly. Jed experimented (in the TESTING forum) and hit the post button several times in a one minute time span. He assumed that this would produce multiple posts within a thread. Instead, it produced several threads (taking up 3-4 pages of topics). In response to his 'testing' he was banned from the site for 3 months.

Personally, I see this as a huge mistake for the admins of Hyundai Performance. Jed is very well known, and everybody gives him a hard time because he tunes Pony's. He does all his own work: Engine swaps, creating his own exhaust, real tuner qualities. He had provided several DIY articles that took him days to write. Including engine swaps, several pictures of steps, tech articles, 4G63T Engine information, etc. He was hosting it on HyundaiPerformance website, and Rob, the admin of the site, deleted it, claiming that it was somehow lost in the change from one server to another. It occurred immediately after his ban.

To me, that's a low blow. He put a ton of time into his work and his research, and providing useful information. He isn't just a random member of the site. He actually contributes to the tuning scene and doing stuff himself. There aren't aftermarket parts available for Hyundai Pony's. They were around in 1985 era, so they don't really have a huge market for parts, yet Jed makes his own and does his own work. He wrote articles on auto-to-manual swaps, done in only 12 hours. He's posted pictures and info on his work of creating custom exhaust pipes. All of this has been wiped out because he wanted to "TEST" something in the "Testing" forums, and it didn't work out the way he thought it would.

Please feel free to post your replies, comments, and suggesetions here in the RDTiburon forums, as well as in the Hyundai Performance forums.
http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=49857
The biggest problem I have with the situation is the deletion of his numerous tech articles and research that he had posted. It took him days to write, and weeks of research and actually Doing It Himself to figure it out. I also believe a 3 month ban is a little extreme. He's one of the few tuners that actually contribute to the Hyundai scene.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

WTF did they delete his stuff too?

Goddamnit I hate that shit. Who banned him?

You know, I almost was starting to give HP.com props, but this? Jeesh.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Rob banned him. And thanks for moving it... I went to move it but it had already been done wink.gif good catch

By the way, this is what a Pony is, for those of you who don't know what it is...

Old 04-24-2004, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, it's locked over there now.

Can you belive that Nazi shit?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Administrator

change your sig over there to "Free Jed"... btw... any clue as to why this isn't showing up in the "Recent Topics" on the first page??
Old 04-24-2004, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

First off, I wasn't lying about pony.hp.com and just to prove it, I pointed the Apache server to it. Go look for yourself.

Quit making up crap that isn't true. I said I didn't delete it, I just hadn't updated the new web server for it, but you didn't believe me. What reason have I ever given you to think I was lying?

Guys, I still defend my decision as the right thing to do as Jed has had his Citizen Rating deducted more than anybody else on HP and always has an excuse after-the-fact. I let him off when he signed up as 2 different names that were copying an admin or moderator (AUT0BOT, etc). And he didn't learn his lesson, so this time he's going to.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator

I apologize Rob. I was told that it was deleted by a few people. I realize now that it wasn't, and I won't be mentioning that again. I had posted that before you posted saying it hasn't been deleted. I am fine with that. I don't want to cause tension between us, I like a lot of the things you do and I know it's hard work keeping such a large site up. I don't agree with some of the moderators at HP, but I realize good help is hard to find, and you have to settle with some of the bad aspects of people to get the good aspects that you need.

As I understand, the AUT0BOT thing was an April Fools Joke and nothing bad was really done. It was a joke trying to show that Kirk liked Pony's. I didn't see the thread myself, so forgive me if I heard improper information. I remember April Fools jokes you've played on the site in the past, and I don't see what he did as being too bad. I have nothing against you, I just don't think the punishment fits the crime. I would have considered a much shorter sentence. I never mean to talk bad about HP. When I meet people with Hyundai's, HP is one of the first sites I tell them about. I don't have anything against Hyundai Performance. I just disagree with this issue.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road
Default Problem with the "Recent Topics"

It might end up being only a month. Maybe less, maybe more. It really depends on Jed's attitude towards everything. It seems to me that he continually pushes the envelope, seeing how far he can get before we come down on him. Well, he went too far this time.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:10 PM

Yeah he needs to chill attacking the mods as well smile.gif

WE have a job there too, and by his emails, he needs to relax the internet isn't going anywhere
Old 04-24-2004, 02:21 PM

The only problem I see is that it happened in the testing forum. I don't think most people look and/or post in the testing forum. If they do, they do their test, see if it works and never look back. If he had done this in a forum that was acutally used for information, that would be one thing, but it was the testing forum. The "trolls" in the other post people talk about, do this in important, useful forums. If it tied up bandwidth, or did something detrimental to the site, that needs to be voiced. I realize that Rob runs it and ultimately it is his decision, but, some things are relatively harmless (just like Jed).