The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

It's A Good Thing I Have No Beer In The House

Old 04-22-2007, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start with friday morning.. during my usual 8 hour day at work, I wound up running some lighting gear up to the University of the Arts in Downtown Philly.. get there and the elevator is broken, door onw open for the second floor. Guess what floor I need to get the stuff.

During my humping of two 16 bushel hampers full of stuff I pulled a muscle in my lower back and then had to drive an hour home.. so I pulled the muscle and then sat in the same position for an hour, letting it stiffen up.

Get back, go home, get changed, go to the Borgata to load out Harry Connick Jr from the Event Center. Thankfully no heavy lifting. Get home at 1am, get to bed at 2.

6am, alarm goes off, out the door by 8. Back to the Borgata to load in Norah Jones. Get six hours in, leave work, go to do my video stuff.

On the way there, I hit some construction debris in the road. SUV in front of me waited to the last second to swerve (so he straddled it) I had to swerve had to miss.. JUST clipped it with my passengerside rear tire.. not 30 seconds later I feel the familier sounds of a flat tire. It had slashed the sidewall clean through.

No spare. My Bimmer did not arrive to me with a spare and because it is hard to find for my model (it bolts to the underside of the car instead of sitting in the trunk) I have been unwilling to spend the $300 at the dealer for a new donut.. I am five miles from where I have to meet the rest of the crew and I have half an hour.. 20 mph tops with the Four ways on as I made my way there on the shoulder of the road.

Get to the job it is a complete disaster. The Catering guys never OKed out location with the staff of the hotel. Owner of the hotel does not want us in the lobby and had their maintance guys all but call the cops to get us out of the lobby. Catering, after not really caring what was going on as long as we were making DVDs.. FINALLY finds us a place that the hotel likes.. all told, we shot about 20 songs worth of stuff.. the Family who had hired us is hesitant to give us a check even though it was clearly not our fault.

Anyway, I live an hour from where we meet to go to work. I thankfully am able to get my one co-worker to give me a ride back to my place to get one of my old rims and bring me back. He drops me off and I realize the hard way that because the tire was compleatly shredded, it was all but sticking off of the rim out towards the wheel well, making it impossible to get leverage on the lug wrench to break the bolts free.. thankfully I brought my big Hydraulic floor jack and was able to wedge that in such a way to push up on the lug wrench to break the bolts loose.

NEVER saw so many cops on the way home. Ever municipality I passed had two or three sitting out.. thankfully the one good thing that happened today was that they did not pay attention to my wounded bimmer.. made it up at 4am.. just 2 hours short of being up for 24 straight.

So now I need a new Michelin Pilot sport in a 235/45/17.. about $175 each.. OUCH! I also want to mention I did all this while recovering from Viral Pnumonia. I can only hope that sunday can make me forget saturday
Old 04-22-2007, 03:34 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Wow, sucked to be you for the last 48 hours. Hope tomorrow goes smoothly for you.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:01 PM

eh.. you wished that on me didn't you? Went out to look at the damage today.. the front tire on that side is flat now. Guess I did hit something with it after all. Now my bimmer is sporting a ghetto staggered set up. 17" M3 rims with 235/40/17 Michelin Pilot sports (overrated IMHO) on the rear and 205/65/15 no name tyres on the original aluminum rims that came with the car.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

youch!!!!! don't you want to just forget these kinds of days? man... it's totally they didn't find your crew a place to shoot. what bastards to call the damn cops. totally disorganized. f*ck it whatever is at work stays at work. i just hope you didn't mulch your rim too bad.

yeah getting sick is a bastard. sucks all this had to happen in one round, but hey you're strong enough to deal and recover to anything. hope you can fix it and hey well it happens. i went through 4 kumho MX's, 1 of which i was stupid as hell because i gave it to them thinking it wasn't usable when it was brand new tire. i hit a median a month ago which totally crapped on me. $600 down the potty for no reason.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 AM

Believe it or not.. the is the one good thing about this. Not a mark on the RIM. The Bead held to the edge of the rim and the car rode on that for over 5 miles.

Now I just have to get my dremel out and get the bead off before I take the rim in for a new tire. No way I am walking into a shop with it looking like that. I will take some pictures though
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Sorry to hear about your woes bro, sounds like we're both having a shit time of it lately..