The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Installing Cai

Old 04-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I was installing my CAI today, I had everything removed and I was going to put the rubber mount for the CAI in. I couldn't get it to thread into the hole so to make sure I was in the right place I tried threading the factory bolt back in and it snapped off in the hole. So after all that work all I came out with was a resonator removal and NO CAI. Now i guess I have to go to a shop and get them to drill out the broken bolt???
Old 04-19-2006, 03:50 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You can try to rotate the bolt out with a pair of needle nose plyers if it's not too tight in there. if you have a power drill, you can buy a bolt extracter kit (reverse drill bits). Then, when you get the bolt out, go buy another matching bolt at the hw store.

When you finish the CAI, put the bolts back in the holes. Don't throw them away. They'll come in handy later

It's a really simple fix. Just remember, don't play superman again.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 PM

I barely had the bolt threaded in, about 1/4 of the thread length and then it snapped. It was probably because of how rusted the bolt was. I will probably have to the the extracter kit you speak of as it is snapped right in where I cannot grip with pliers.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:57 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Ya know... I had the EXACT same thing happen when I installed mine.
I was so pissed off that I tied it up with a zip tie just to hold it in place until I had
some time to drill the bolt out. It came out pretty easily though, once I got back home
and had the time and the tools in hand.
I suggest using new bolts. Most of ours are pretty old and rusted, if they're anything like mine. smile.gif
Old 04-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Thats exactly what I was gonna do, lol. All hail the Zip Tie. I am probably gonna have to get new bolts. They are rusted up alot and pretty weak. 1 snapped off while I was removing it from the inner splash cover when it was already half way out.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

I have a question along those lines.
It seemed to me that the front splash cover that needs to be removed to install the CAI can't be put back on afterwards... Did everyone else just cut it to accomodate the CAI, or leave it off? Mine was in bad shape in the first place with pieces broken off of it and cracks through it, so I just threw it out, but if it can be easily modified to fit I might consider getting a new one from the dealership. It must serve some purpose, right? tongue.gif
Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ cut it. It's easy. Just use a knife or razor blade.

Aircory: dude, if it's just rusty, spray some rust remover like break free or WD-40 in there, wait 2 hours and dig with a pair of pliers. It really should work. and the next time you put a bolt in, it should thread nicely after breaking the rust away. My 01 does not have the same problems you were speaking of. Do you do an undercarriage wash often? it could be dirt in there.

Clean the threads of bolts with a wire brush if they're dirty and spray some lube in the holes.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Cut the splash shield, it says so in the install instructions and the Scanned DIY on this site.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 PM

^^^ Agreed. Just use a razor blade to trim a bit of it out. It fits very nice when you do.