The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Immature?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well right now I don't care too much. I work in real estate, and image is everything in this business. Luckily I am not a salesperson, nor do I aspire to be one. It's just like, when I pulled up for the interview, I parked far away so they wouldn't see my car, lol.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:46 PM

I work in the medical profession and my bosses and the doc's over me all love my car and try to drive it, sometimes even try to buy it. But when it's incomplete/in primer / some interior torn apart, I think the WHOLE image changes, people are too quick to judge and underconstruction car.

This makes me miss driving the car... it needs to get back on the road already mad.gif
Old 03-28-2008, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT

ya i know how you guys feel when we came back from deployment i got so much crap cause i drive a hyundai and enjoy investing my money into it, while everyone else drives audi's and SUV's and poeple in the army are very quick to judge but i love having an unique car compared to how we can play "count the mustangs" on the way to base
Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 PM

I'm a Software Engineer, and most of my colleagues' cars are luxury suv's and sedans. The co-workers that have pissed me off the most were these 2 guys (each at different companies). One drove a beat-up, 300 000km car. He mocked me once because of my spoiler ("why does a car need a wing? Is it gonna fly?") A-hole! The other drove a subaru wrx. He had always put-down Hyundais by telling me what you have all already heard others say about hyundais. Until one day he saw me pulling out of the parking lot. At that point he asked me, "is that your car?" And he praised it; that's when he changed his view of my car :-)

Anyway, I absolutely do not feel immature driving my tib. My mentality is that I keep to my business and you keep to yours. I drive what I wanna drive and it's nobody's business, period!! I love driving my car, I love my car, I've made promises about not spending anymore money and I can't keep it ;-) I feel AMAZING when I'm driving my tib. When I'm stressed or angry, I just love to drive at 1am on the highway, on cruise control; the feeling of no one on the road but me!! Point being that if you enjoy your car, that's ALL THAT MATTERS!

The only negative feeling I get when I'm driving, is that people around me feel that they have to compete with me. Damn, I hate that feeling. You're stopped at a red light and people will pull to the right lane waiting for the light to change to green to pass you. That doesn't happen nearly as much, when I'm driving my parents' car. I guess it's because they feel intimidated and feel that they need to prove themselves laugh.gif
Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You know why I like my car, because it different and to find another rd tib in my area is rare</div>

i have to agree, i drive the highway all the time, both everyday here all down to florida, europe. the chances of seeing rd tiburon are 1 in 1000. and when you do come up to a tuned tiburon, usually it's the GK body.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I feel bad enough when I have to drive my mother in it.</div>

hahah.... so do i!! and my father. but then again the man who brought me here is 83 years old and still drives one daily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I do plan on getting a "normal" car for work and everyday life. The Tiburon will become my weekend/fun car, which is what it really should have been all along.</div>

if i had my supercharger on, that would be the case. but i figure live once use it up and that's what it's for. i too have had my car built the way i want the last 5 years. parts were hard to get and lots expensive... i wouldn't let that all go down, especially after the auto-manual swap.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>while still being able to light the tires.</div>

i'll see you on the news again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You put alot of time and effort and cash into it.</div>

i knew a cool businessman who used to come in and park his black '96 Supra TT next to the window so we could drool over it. talked to him a few times and watched it morph. but that was a respectable Supra, not a crappy tin can 4 banger!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If your employer has a problem with your car maybe they should give you a raise so you can buy that BMW he thinks you should be driving.</div>

i think you should be promoted to lobbyist.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I plan on keeping my tib, maybe forever if I can make it last.</div>

hopefully i can too, but it's difficult to say whether or not new hyundais will tempt me. worst case scenario i will store it in a garage or ship it overseas. i could never get the value of it back. $3,000 no way i can get a job and work for a month if i wanted 3 grand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I use my car a stress relief, meditation zone and a sense of pride.</div>

same here man, especially on some good paved roads or in florida where it's nice to live and the people are nice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>my bosses and the doc's over me all love my car and try to drive it, sometimes even try to buy it.</div>

i had a few chefs in the restaurant wanting to buy my car all the time because they knew whos it was and we used to park near each other! when i told them $5 grand was the cheapest i could do (well hell, new rims, new tires, auto-manual, original shipped british f2 bumper, f2 gauges, expensive sway bars, expensive HID's, expensive muffer, expensive headers and airram, cf hood on top of the $3,000 stock price) they laughed. of course it was a joke but they didn't understand how rare and expensive these items were.

i love this scene, and the car, and won't be leaving and i hope most of you don't either. i might not be around the forums too much during school but i will try to stick around and talk to everyone here and there. i'm going to suck out as much life out of this car as possible. a new engine if it gets real bad which it won't for another 100k. i'm glad i don't feel alone on this... it would be like saying dogs are too immature for humans thumbsdown.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The only negative feeling I get when I'm driving, is that people around me feel that they have to compete with me. Damn, I hate that feeling. You're stopped at a red light and people will pull to the right lane waiting for the light to change to green to pass you. That doesn't happen nearly as much, when I'm driving my parents' car. I guess it's because they feel intimidated and feel that they need to prove themselves</div>

i don't know, i sort of ike that feeling but it all depends on who's driving, what kind of car, and how many mods (usually can tell by HID's). not racing, but just fooling around for fun. revving is immature for sure, but throwing it in 4th and giving it a little kick is fun. today a turbo GTi was showing of his BOV just to show me who was boss. i probably think that driver is smart for buying a VW, and we'd probably be friends thanks to sharing the same hobby. but when it comes down to some ricehead or redneck that's a different story.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

In the military most of the senior leadership ie officers are driving old beat up cars and trucks. It's usually there wives driving around in the nice vehicles.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

describing the tib as immature looking is not really what i had in mind. the biggest amount of bad commenst i get are that tibs are so girly. i often feel embarrassed, especially when i meet up with people that knew me when i drove my built z28 camaro. although i get all these comments and feel like i never want to see my car again. the next time i look at it, im back in love with all the lines curves and driving feel.
sure im only 18 and maybe a little bit immature, if not a whole lot ,but after having a 96 grand prix, 2002/2003 neon, and 79 camaro, my friends still think my tib is awesome.
also i believe immature is more of and impractical modification to an everyday car, and have a stereo that the bass will blow your ear drums out of your head, which most of us have been guilty of at one time or another.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 01 / Hyundai / Tiburon

yea people like to say my tiby is girly, but i usually change their opinions after they go for a ride with me. My friends just find it weird because i am more of a V8 guy and i love older cars more than anything, but i drive a 4 cylinder and love it.

But i do also drive 2 other car, which are older. 1 has a straight 6 in it and the other will have a 302 V8 in it smile.gif

Plus i dont mind being the immature one once in awhile. just means im more fun than them
Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I have never seen my tib as immature, nor myself, well not in a while anyways.

The rarity of the car and parts is what makes it so unique, along with the sexy body lines and curves.

I just love when a mustang or some big V8 says to me "Wow that must be a pretty big V6". That is what keeps me going as most people see these tiny 2L 4 bangers and laugh not knowing the capability of them with the correct knowledge and parts. And the fact that its a hyundai is always a kicker to them, but that just because theres always a new face at the track.

I used to get told at work all the time, "Quit wasting your money on that hyundai". Thats kinda stopped after them watching me build up a motor for it. Now I get asked all the time about the last qt mile I ran and how I manage not to detonate the motor.

I have 2 spare motors not counting my built, a spare manny tranny with 20k mi on it, 4 sets of tires, and access and knowledge to everything needed to do body work. My tib isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I've actually had dreams of it being in the Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction in 50years cool.gif
Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibbychick @ Mar 28 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, very much so. I found the solution was to buy more parts and keep modding it, even though I vowed that I wouldn't.

For me, it feels almost unprofessional. My boss has seen my car, but hasn't made any comments about it. Usually I don't care what people think; it's my car, I do to it what I want. But now that I'm becoming more career focused (yes, at 23 I'm a little behind), I am becoming more aware of the fact that the car may make me look like an immature kid.

I think the best way to transition, for me at least, is to not give up on my vision that has taken more than 5 years to come to fruition (and is still not completely realized). I do plan on getting a "normal" car for work and everyday life. The Tiburon will become my weekend/fun car, which is what it really should have been all along.</div>

Wow....I have to say I'm in the EXACT same boat that you are. Especially with my line of work. Seeing my car parked out front of a funeral home actually hurts the image of not just me as a 'professional' person, but also the image of the company.

This exactly why I got the Charger. It feels and looks like a nice classy car, but also has an aggressive feel to it and still makes me smirk when I punch it. I'm keeping the Tib for weekends, and the occassional date... fing02.gif

But having a normal car means I don't have to worry about constantly looking in my rearview mirror for cops, or worrying about it in a parking lot in a shady area, or downtown core. Its just like any other car on the road and doesn't draw attention to itself.