The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

I Hate Cops Now...

Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to not have a problem with cops.... but I do now. I hate them.

Last week, Sunday night, around Midnight, I'm coming home from visiting my parents. Going from the I5 southbound to the I605 southbound (Los Angeles), a CHP going along the 605 southbound sees me coming out from the turn. I'm going like 75-80mph. Over the speed limit, yes.... so he proceeds to pull me over.

He says he got me at 90mph and that I was fishtailing coming out from the turn. WTF?! First of all, I drive a front wheel drive car, if I started fishtailing at 90mph I would crash, spin out, etc. I asked him how he figured I was doing 90mph, he said he paced me. SURE........ He saw me all of 1 second before he flipped his lights on... and I was already down to 70mph at that point... cause I was coming out of the fking turn.

Anyways, result: 90mph in a 65 zone, no front license plate, blue turn signals. (Even though i clearly stated they are white - he put Blue. whatever.. asshole.) The plate and signals are no charge fix it. The speeding thing is going to kill me, so I'm going to fight it.

But wait! The story doesn't end here...

YESTERDAY... 7 days after the previous incident. I'm sitting at a stop light waiting to make a right turn to go eastbound on Imperial Hwy to go get something to eat on my lunch break. A Downey motorcycle cop traveling east on Imperial Hwy spots me and turns the corner to get behind me. He stops behind me and flips his lights on. Pulls me over, so now I'm sitting in front of my office, with a cop telling me to open my hood cause he wants to inspect it... I've NEVER have been inspected before. So he sees the AEM intake and he's looking all around my engine... (probably looking for nitrous oxide) and says that my intake is illegal. It's AEM fker.... It's CARB certified. I, however, never got a sticker from AEM since I was the R&D car for the 97-01 Cold Air Intake. I argue with him over this for about 10 minutes, but he won't leave it alone, writes me a ticket anyways. Also gives me a ticket for tinted side windows. (f u cali laws) and tries to write me up for having modified exhaust. Yeah.. right. I'm way below the 92 decible range, and my cat isn't modified, so you can take that and shove it. So he can't write me up for that and he doesn't. But if I didn't know that, he would had, cause he's an asshole.

Anyways, I called AEM, they are sending me the stickers. Such a hassle cause now I have to get my car inspected and then go to court to take care of this ticket. The cop put this sticker on my ticket that basically says that I have to remove my car from the road, otherwise if I'm caught while not being CARB compliant, they will tow my car. All this for an AEM... such BS and a waste of my lunch time.

I hate cops. 2 tickets within a week. bleh.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Wow thats a little extreme.. they like to pick on us with modded cars but thats takin it too far... there not that bad around here.. ive been pulled over and hassled for some pretty stupid reasons.. but most times it never went as far as ticket.... cop just must have been in a bad mood that day 02.gif
Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

wow dude, thats fvckin sucky. I would hate to want to modify a car while living in cali. ridiculous

good luck with your court battles. judges, in lots of cases, can be worse than cops
Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

damn that sucks! how the hell intake can be illegal?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wow, that sucks. I hope everything works out for you.

I used to not have a problem with cops but ever since I moved here to NY Ive started to dislike them..just cause around here they pull you over if your going like 5 mph over the speed limit or if you make one little traffic mistake. Ridiculous. In NJ their not so bad, you can get away with a lot of things.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:18 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dmitry @ Feb 9 2006, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>damn that sucks! how the hell intake can be illegal?</div>
In Cali, you can only use "approved" parts that have been tested to not increase emissions. If you install a part that cuts your emissions in half...if it's not approved, it's illegal. They CAN impound/destroy your car just for one piece of non-compliant/illegal modifcation.

Spiffy-
That does bite, big time. Yeah, you'll have no problem fighting any of the citations, but its a PAIN in the rear to do it...a waste of your time (and the court's time, and the cop's time, if he shows up), but I sure would fight em on all counts.

I had hear a "rumor" that the CHP/PoPo was going to be cracking down on speeding,modified cars as an attempt to raise revenue, but just assumed it was another of those internet rumors. Maybe it is real/true?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:20 AM

Lame.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Seriously, I would move. Why the hell would anyone want to live in a place that hates modified cars? Sounds like it's becoming a daily hassle over there. Besides, the cost of living is expensive.

As for searching the car without a reason. I would have told him no and made a big deal out of it. He had no reason to search your car as long as you were obeying traffic laws. "Probable Cause" anyone?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random @ Feb 9 2006, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>In Cali, you can only use "approved" parts that have been tested to not increase emissions. If you install a part that cuts your emissions in half...if it's not approved, it's illegal. They CAN impound/destroy your car just for one piece of non-compliant/illegal modifcation.

Spiffy-
That does bite, big time. Yeah, you'll have no problem fighting any of the citations, but its a PAIN in the rear to do it...a waste of your time (and the court's time, and the cop's time, if he shows up), but I sure would fight em on all counts.

I had hear a "rumor" that the CHP/PoPo was going to be cracking down on speeding,modified cars as an attempt to raise revenue, but just assumed it was another of those internet rumors. Maybe it is real/true?</div>

I was just watching this show on A&E about modified cars and street racing; the cops said they want to give out tickets to any modified car and stop that all together. I saw that and was like wtf? they claimed that any person who modifies their cars wants to just street race. So stupid..but maybe that rumor you heard might be true.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 AM

hell, and you wonder why cops sit and watch people right after meets.