The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Help! Car Is Dead!

Old 04-24-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's what happened...

Me and a friend had to take my battery out yesterday for something, wasnt a big deal, so I did. Did what we needed to do, put it back in, but while he was plugging all my accessories in (neon wires, system, etc) to the Positive, he plugged in the wire that goes from the negative to a ground into the Positive. So then he tries to put on the negative part of the battery and it like sparks everywhere and even starts to melt the little metal part that is the negative part of the battery itself. We take it off, take the ground thing off the positive, ground it, and now nothing will work. No lights, headlights, radio, nothing electrical. It's just, dead. and I'm like clueless to what to do. I'm about to go outside and check all the fuses, but if those are fine, what else could it be? And also, where is the best place for the ground wire to go, because I never even noticed it until then, and I dont have the slightest clue as to how it came disconnected.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

The same thing happened to me a while ago. Friend jumped my car but had his wires reversed. My battery post was melted and couple fuse blown. I blown the alternator fuse, Radio fuse, Amp Fuse, fried an alternator, and caused one of my spark plugs to misfire. You should first check your fuse and see if that helps.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Probably blew the alternator and all sorts of fuses...
Old 04-24-2005, 01:31 PM

You might have drained the battery also. Like suggested above. Start with the fuses, especially the one between the battery and the alternator. There are enough failsafes to keep people from compleatly frying their wiring harnesses, but I am sure you did SOME damage somewhere.

Check your fuses, replace any that are burned out, either install a new battery the right way around, or reinstall the old one and get a jump. The car will probably start once it has juice going the right way, but be prepared to replace the fragile things like the alternator and such.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:36 PM

that happened to me in my Z28 a few years back, It somehow burnt out my hypertech control module and I ended up paying another $500 to get another one custom tuned. Always be careful.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:16 PM

that is one of the thing you HAVE to be careful .

Now, check all fuses. check the ECU and the harness for a melt wire.

and change battery if you can. and make sure to connect the terminals whre it should be connected.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:27 PM

how do you make a mistake like that....because on mine, the battery will only go in one way to where the wires can meet the terminal. and the wires aren't long enought to get mixed up.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

im assuming he had the BATTERY flipped around, not the wires. tongue.gif
Old 04-24-2005, 10:21 PM

No battery was in right position, just the ground wire wasnt plugged into a ground, it was on the positive. But it's working now, checked all my fuses none were blown, took the battery down to car part store and had it checked, they charged it up and fixed it all up and it works now. Hopefully there's no damage i havent been able to see. Drove it to work and around town tonight, everything seemed fine. Thanks for the input though guys.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

that post was in response to bryce's.

glad you got it all worked out though man, better thank hyundai for all the safety mechanisms to keep you from not blowing your entire electrical system tongue.gif this happened to me because my friend did the same thing when we were jumping my car, i noticed the spark and we pulled them off right away..nothing ever resulted from it.