The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Good help is hard to find (kinda long, and probably weak)

Old 08-21-2003, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is it with retail stores these days? Twice now I have been to the same store (different locations though) and was unable to get help.
I had to make decisions myself with no advice to help me choose. As it turns out I made the wrong choice on a mountain bike and went to return it the day after I bought it. After being told by someone (who apparently doesn't work in the bike dept) that the return policy was 30 days with receipt, I felt confident that there would be no hassles with returning it. Boy was I wrong. The manager told me that they just don't sell bikes for people to ride and return them when they don't need them anymore.
I can understand that a retail store does need to protect themselves from losses, but they can do it in a manner that doesn't make the customer feel like they're on trial. I had to fight to get a refund on this bike that I bought less than 24 hours ago. Then the manager started pointing out scratches on the bike saying they weren't going to fully refund me. The scratches were there when I bought it, I even asked for a discount and was told they are display models, they can't be responsible for damage.

The whole time I was asking the manager to go find the kid who sold me this bike as I'm sure he could vouch for me. I don't know why he never went and got him.

Today I went back to buy a trunk mount rack for them so I can cart them around town......got someone else who doesn't know anything. Asked him a couple of questions, got a couple of I don't knows, then he said "I don't know what to tell you" then walked off. I thought he might be getting someone who does "know what to tell me" but after about 10 minutes I gave up hope. I ended up buying one that looks like it might work, but I have no idea if it will until I get home tonight.

Anyway, when I go to check out, the less than helpful guy I ran in to the first time was up there flirting with some gal behind the customer service counter.
People need to care just a wee but more about their job. If you don't know, find someone who does, open the box and look at the manual, it's really not that hard.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I think it has alot to do with the economy. It used to be you worked a certain job because you enjoy it, now it seems people just want money so they will do anything for it.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, there is also the issue of Discount Superstores.

Places like WalMart and Target, and even the Kmart you went to (lol.gif wink.gif) don't hire folks for their expertiese, they hire them to have a warm body fill a slot. And usually as cheap as they can, and the fewest folks they can get to fill said slots.

If you DO get someone that knows what they are talking about, it's just blind luck, or someone that actually cares about learning their job and listens to the experts or enthusiasts that come to them.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:49 AM

why the f*** are you letting a computer do the hireing? that's about f***ing stupid!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:23 AM

Ruffedge,

Does your . key work?? smile.gif
Old 08-22-2003, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Not that looks should be a final judge, but they should have a part on the application where you mark how there demeanor and attitude are.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (javageek)</div><div class='quotemain'>Not that looks should be a final judge, but they should have a part on the application where you mark how there demeanor and <u>atpillowude</u> are.</div>

Uhm...

Java?

Is that another one of them words I just won't understand?

LOL