The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Gas Prices Rule!

Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know why prices in Canada are suddenly spiking right after this hurricane. How much of Canadas gas do you think comes from the southern states?? My guess would be NONE!! Canada is an oil rich country and we export alot to the states, yet we get raped with high prices all the time. Regular went up 20 cents a liter today, 20 CENTS!! That is like gas going up 80 cents a gallon in ONE DAY! It is so amazing how gas can go up immediatly after various factors such as hurricanes etc, when I am sure it takes weeks for the oil to be pumped out of the ground, refined and shipped to your local gas station. The oil companies can eat my shorts!!

blowup.gif
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

its turning into a world-wide epidemic....

plus canada isn't a country. it's just United States Junior. haha
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 AM

Okay, this sucks. I just got 7 gallons of gas for $3.23 a gallon, from the SAME place I filled up on Sunday for $2.39 a gallon. That's only four days later. How could the increased costs already have been transferred to Virginia so suddenly? I think this is gouging.

I have a 600 mile drive ahead of me next weekend. I'm no longer looking forward to it. That will be $80 in gas, assuming prices don't increase more. And I think they will.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, I watched the O'Reiley Factor earlier, now I understand.

1. There is no gas shortage.
2. Oil prices are DROPPING now, not going up further.
3. GAS prices are going up for the following reasons.

A. Everyone is worried about a shortage because of what they see on the news, so everyone, weather they need it or not, is out topping off their tanks and getting excess fuel in containers (Duh, that's why there are lines at the gas stations now...).
B. To ensure there is no shortage and to slow the excited folks down, gas prices are going up. Harder hit areas have higher prices because folks are going INSANE to get as much as possible. Unfortunately, this also tends to make folks BELIVE there is a shortage and then they want to buy more before the rates go up.

Let's all just relax, get back into the flow of stuff, and wait to see what the real shape of the refineries are.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:16 AM

so are you saying that gas station owners are doing this crap only because everyone is buying gas? More demand the higher the price... but shouldn't there be some kind of rule of how much money they can make off the gas and how much it can be raised? President needs to do something about it...
Old 09-02-2005, 07:17 AM

I think, in the long run, gas prices are going to get worse. I believe this due to the fact that gas prices are also determined in what is going on in China and India. They are the world's two emerging powers, and the two largest countries in the world population wise. Right now, the U.S. Japan and Europe are the three largest purchasers of cars, in 20 years, it will be China, India and the U.S. In other words, there will be much more competition for dwindling resources. Demand will increase for oil which will raise the prices and as long as China, India and other third world countries begin to moderize and buy more and more cars, it will get worse.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 AM

see now here is where i must intervene and say something for the other guy. my girlfriend's parents own a gas station... yea yea i kno BOOOOOOO.... but from what her father has said, they only make two to three cents per gallon as it is. their providers set their prices and so forth so really its not the gas stations themselves but the oil companies supplying the gasoline. (we had a bit of a debate cuz i told him it was quite stupid of them to raise the prices so high when there was no shortages) so you see that it may not necessarily be the people that own the pump you are using but the people that supply that gasoline to them.

they also claim that they honestly do not make that much money off of gasoline, its the convenience items inside that make the most cash. they claim they gross about 40-50 grand a year (seems a lil low to me but who knows)
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i topped off yesterday. i didn't need to. it was like 10 gallons. but, i did cuz i didn't wanna pay higher prices later. i expect this to last me at least 2 weeks, if not more. i haven't been driving much at all due to bein on workers comp
Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 AM

^^ You are absolutely correct CDog, a friend of mine is a manager of a gas station and he told me that they only make a nickle profit a gallon. He also told me that another nickle or dime a gallon is added by the companies that transport the gas to the gas stations. The biggest chunck is added on by taxes. I'm not too sure on the exact numbers, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we either pay (at least here in Texas) somewhere around 30cents a gallon or 30 some percent for taxes.