The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Frozen E-brake Cables

Old 12-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Does this happen to every car or is the design of our cables inherently retarded?

Everytime the temp drops below 32 the E-Brake cable is frozen in position, whether engaged or disengaged. Pain in the ass! I keep a rock in my passenger seat floorboard as my "parking brake" during winter months.. Ugh

Replacing with new ones doesn't solve anything as I already have..
Can't beat the cold

Anyone know specifically why/where the problem lies? Do I need to fab up a parking brake heater? LOL
I believe the problem enlies in the boot that surrounds the line at the point at which the cable leaves the interior of the car (under the rear carpet inbetween the rear seats..)
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I never have that problem myself but i never use my E-brake. I would suggest color coordinating your parking rock to your car,lol. fing02.gif
Old 12-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

The oem grease in the boot sucks. once water gets in there its a matter of time for the rust and ice to happen. Next warm spell repack the grease into the boots by the caliper.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

have not had that problem either and hopefully i dont...

happy holidays
Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

i use to have that problem every winter, sucks going down the road with the rear wheels locked up. i tried taking the cables off and spraying WD-40 into the lines but it only worked on one side. i replaced them and haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Never had that problem on mine either. I use mine all the time too, especially this morning. Just got a bunch of snow and none of the streets were plowed. banana.gif
Old 12-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have the same problem right now. I changed the cables but it still remain stuck when the car is parked outside in the cold! Rear calipers, discs and pads were changed 2 months ago...So the OEM system must suck!

So now I just leave it parked in gear...

Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM

i have that problem even if my car sits too long... its crazy annoying. mine locks up near the rotor though and i have to spray some pb blaster at it and hit it with a hammer
Old 12-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

thank you Bullfrog, I bet that is the problem. Luckily I don't really have to worry about the rust, the freezing during cold temps is the biggy.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 AM

I have the exact same problem. I replaced both cables in the last year, and it happens on only the driver-side. I can't use my remote starter because I need to leave it in gear as the parking brake cable will freeze and I'd have to drive home on 1 locked rear wheel. I'm about to redo my rear brakes, and I'm betting that the problem isn't with the cable, rather with the spring on the rear caliper. I'm going to grease that spring up, in the next 2 weeks. I'm almost sure that that's the problem.