The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Foxnews

Old 06-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a poll a couple of months ago that tested the knowledge of loyal news watchers/listeners.

Those that knew the most about the world around them: NPR and Public Television audiances.

Those that knew the least or were the most Misinformed: CNN audiances.

I forget where Fox came in.. but honestly, I hate news with a slant. Give me straight news, not some hacked up political crapola mixed in with it,
Old 06-07-2007, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

It's sad. I learn more, politically, about the world around me reading one article in National Geographic than I do watching a week of CNN or Fox "News".

If anyone's seen the movie "Idiocracy" it pretty much hit the nail on the head of where we are heading. The newscasters of 2505 are hilarious, but it doesn't seem like it'd take 500 years to get to that point, it seems like it's just around the bend.

FYI, Idiocracy is a "b movie" about a military human deep freeze expiriment gone wrong. INstead of waking up 1 year later, the test subjects wake up 500 years later and the world around them has gradually lost all intelligence, they are the smartest people in the world. Not really a serious movie, but it was sorta funny.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jun 7 2007, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I read a poll a couple of months ago that tested the knowledge of loyal news watchers/listeners.

Those that knew the most about the world around them: NPR and Public Television audiances.

Those that knew the least or were the most Misinformed: CNN audiances.

I forget where Fox came in.. but honestly, I hate news with a slant. Give me straight news, not some hacked up political crapola mixed in with it,</div>

I'm I'm sure there was a slant on that. CNN is a conservative station. NPR and Public Television are liberal stations.

The difference between conservative and liberal ideas of news is a large one

CNN will just run a ticker of information that isn't quite news.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

on second thought, it WAS cnn that was displaying Carl Rove getting jiggy with it.

Dear God, that was disgusting. and DTN, i don't think this is a rant about liberal stations versus conservative stations. I think it's wtf happened to intelligent news ranting..

cnn has THE MOST coverage on this paris hilton shit (wait, maybe.. second only to the TV Guide channel). I'm sooo glad I can't afford cable anymore. It's supposed to be shut off tonight.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 AM

actually.. NPR and PBS generally keep a fair and balanced broadcast.

the point though, was that CNN sucks major arse. People who watch it think they are getting the news, but all they are are bulletin points that scroll by at the bottom.

I lost all respect for Fox news years ago when I actually did news for a living. The top station around here is Channel 6 ABC. WPVI. They have been one the top for the last 10 years rating wise EXCEPT for one quarter where the local fox station did something sleezy. They ran a scroll during the 10 o'clock show about the "Storm of the century" that was headed our way. If you read the scroll, we were going to get buried under 10 feet of snow or some shit...

we got a couple of inches.

They did on one of the last days of a rating period.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Hah Idiocracy was more like a c- movie. Great to watch. . once but horrible. Makes sense though but would take longer than 500 years.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:27 AM

And somehow Paris Hilton is one of the 3 main headlines on foxnews.com today.. STILL DONT CARE.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Elantra

Anybody ever seen "Outfoxed"?

A big problem with news outlets is that they are owned by giant corporations who care more about their bottom line than any social responsibility they have to the public, ie us. The news outlets owned by large companies (GE, News, off the top of my head) will only report what will garner them more ratings, and the higher advertising fees that go hand-in-hand with higher ratings. Not that NPR does much better in that regard either, what with the federal government forcing them to report more titillating fare to attract more donations in lieu of federal grants. And that is not even going into the thicket of political propaganda masquerading as news.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Fox news is terrible. Most of their news is nothing more than silly "debates" with extremely biased guests, and the opposing opinion is rarely well-represented. It was especially interesting how they didn't even cover the immigration bill at all the weekend it was the big story.

I have to admit to being a huge Lou Dobbs fan, but the only real news I watch is BBC, and I occasionally listen to NPR. Pretty sad that I have to turn to Britain to get a balanced view of what's going on in the world.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

CNN, Lou Dobbs, all of them can suck my ass, at least Fox will put differing sides ON the shows. They aren't perfect, but who is?

I personally DO care about the whole Paris Hilton thing. I could care less of the PERSON, it's the fact that she got let out. WHAT THE HOLY f*** is going on in this country? I mean don't you guys realize WHY this is on the air? The rich b**** got in trouble. DUI. Then get got in trouble again. Breaking probation. She got 45 days, got it reduced to 23 days before she even WENT to jail, got put in a SPECIAL jail and cell because of her status.

That pissed me off enough.

Then the friggin whore gets out after 3 days because she has a herpes outbreak?

EVERYONE should be outraged about that shit. Special punishment for celebrities, politicians, musicians, and the rich HAVE to stop.

Punishments need to be stiffer, and people need to PAY for their friggin mistakes, especially if it's after the first one.

Not to mention, it IS a slow news week.

drillsergeant.gif hail.gif haha.gif