The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Dropzone Springs!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:05 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Those *edited* darn guys made the wrong spring and branded it with the right part number, then shipped it to the seller and then the seller on e-bay shipped it to me.

So i've got my entire rear suspension torn apart, springs off, ready to start fitting the springs to the shocks, and i realize... the lower strut retaining bracket will not fit the replacement springs.. I'm like WTF?!?!

So i call DropZone and they say I'm sorry, our tech support staff has left early because it's friday. I'm like WTF?!?!

I ask the lady to verify the part number and it was correct. I'm like WTF?!?!

I'm looking at it and it looks like the sucker was just cut too long, because the next ring would fit. So I cut a ring of the spring off, everything fit just right, i put the strut on. It's too short. I'm like WTF?!?!

So my back end needs to be rolled and i'm waiting on the front to finish settling. It rides alot better, but I'm like WTF?!?!

How the hell could I have got a spring with the right part number branded on the spring itself DZ 506 S, but it would not fit a KYB GR-2 base? The KYB GR2s are a stock replacement. The DropZone springs I got were labeled, branded and sold as OEM replacements. They even said GR2 on the outside packaging. But the DropZone springs were about a inch too wide to fit on the lower seat.

WTF?!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats messed up..I really dont know how they could mess something up like that.

But cutting the spring? I wouldnt have done that no matter what.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:35 PM
DTN

It works.. the rears were the springs I really needed to replace. I towed a 2000Lb trailer with my car from Kansas to Texas once. It kinda messed up my springs. It rides alot better now and the springs fit into the slots just fine. It's almost like they cut the springs too long on the front and the rear. The front looks like it's at stock height and the rear is lowered.

sorry, better pic.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:00 PM

that's why you can't cheap out some major parts like spings, struts, turbos, and so on.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 PM
DTN

^^ kyb GR-2s are tried and true and relatively cheap. These came in a well packaged container, I really think it was a factory screw up or something.

Before I purchased them, i searched the site for dropzone. Only one reference and no complaints.

I had someone verify my car's suspension today. For those of you who don't know, women have a pretty accurate method of checking how bumpy your car's ride is. boobies.gif

She said the car runs ALOT smoother laugh.gif

Still, i will be contacting DropZone on monday and getting their explanation of this problem.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

but why would you cut the spring...
eww...
Old 03-11-2007, 02:25 PM
DTN

^^ read the post. The springs were about an inch too wide for the lower spring mount. They get smaller as they go up. 1 rung of spring made it the proper size.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

i still wouldnt have cut the springs, cuz then you coulda sent them back, and got the right ones for free.. or you coulda sent them back, and got your money back, and gotten real springs..

cutting springs is (fill in the blank) __________________
Old 03-11-2007, 03:02 PM

dangerous and risking you and passengers life. drillsergeant.gif
Old 03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
DTN

functional and worked well as a means to an end.

There is no risk as the base sits perfectly where it should and the material which the spring is made of has not been modified at all. it's still got all it's origonal strength.

I'll be sending these images to DZ on monday