The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Danm Car Jack

Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I hit a pot hole(Michigans most famous tourist attraction), and bent the rim on my tib. I got a new one to replace it and jacked up the car to put it on. I had no problem takin' off the first rim and putting the doughnut on. This time however I lifted it up, and the jack just gave way. Dropping the car on top of the tire before I finished putting it on lodging it under the fender. It did a great job of jacking the fender out of wack and bending it in on the passenger side. Luckily I didn't lose any fingers(cut them up real nice though) as I was holding the tire when it fell. But now the fender is messed and the car steers like sh*t. I am so mad that they'd give you a jack and then it not be able to hold the car poperly. I really hope there is no serious damage to the axle/steering column/joints/etc... I want ya'll to be weary of the jack that comes with the car.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:32 PM

How long have you had the car and how many times has the jack been used? Do yourself a favor and go to Auto zone or pep boys and get a $20 2 ton hydraulic jack. They are tens times faster/easier to use and are better than those crap scissor jacks.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

if you lifted the car up properly with the jack, like proper jacking points and not more weight then it can handle and it collapsed then i personally would go find someone to b**** at and see if theres any compensation you can get out of it

not sure if you could get any, but i'd give it a shot

jack that comes with the car should be safe enough to handle lifting the corner your working on
Old 11-02-2006, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rare Rolla @ Nov 2 2006, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How long have you had the car and how many times has the jack been used? Do yourself a favor and go to Auto zone or pep boys and get a $20 2 ton hydraulic jack. They are tens times faster/easier to use and are better than those crap scissor jacks.</div>

Not that that's going to do much good on the road... unless you like to carry around your 2ton in your trunk. smile.gif
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM

Yeah... buy a two-ton for working on your car. That thing isn't built for jacking up the car that much.

I'm using two ton jacks that are over 30 years old by now with no problems. Every once in a while they get the fluid replaced i think.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 PM

Of course. I've only used a scissor jack once, and that was when i needed a second jack while working on my old car a few years back... they suck. 2-ton is always the way to go.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:37 AM

Yeah I've used it prolly 5 or 6 times now and had no problems before. The second time I lifted the car to get the tire on and the jack out from under it, I had a friend bring a 2 ton hydraulic jack. Took maybe 2 mins to get everything done after that.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:49 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Caj Darkmoon @ Nov 3 2006, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Not that that's going to do much good on the road... unless you like to carry around your 2ton in your trunk. smile.gif</div>

I do! cool.gif
Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most of the time it's due to not engaging the e-brake and putting the car in park/1st gear. The car rolls a bit or has the potential to roll and bends the jack or tips it.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:15 AM

^^^ i dropped my dad's camry onto the frame using a scissor jack. forgot to put the ebrake on and the car just tipped forward and fell off the jack. Obviously i learned my lesson (people who drive auto's dont always put up the ebrake). I was used to working on my car which always had the ebrake on because i drive a stick.