The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Computer Rant

Old 04-29-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. On each computer, go to start -> run. Type in cmd, and type ipconfig in the black dos prompt. Tell me what each computer says. It sounds like something is connected to the wrong gateway.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Laptop connected to Gateway:
IP Address: 192.168.1.107
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Old 04-29-2006, 01:24 PM

All of your computers are connected to a gateway. A gateway is anything that directs traffic to the internet. BTW, what computer is that screenshot on? That computer is wired to a network device, but also has a wireless connection. One of your computers is connected to two networks. You need to figure out which one. The ipconfig's from the other computers should point that out.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:49 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

MAJIK! there's NOTHING wrong with your connection here.
that "Internet Connection" aka Internet Gateway thing shows up when you're up on the internet through a router.
it's NOT your desktop. so no worries, you're directly connected to the router, not a desktop.

again, GATEWAY = ROUTER

again, 192.168.1.1 is your ROUTER. NOT a desktop.
in your case, any client computer would have 192.168.1.1xx
Old 05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

the gateway isn't showing now. I messed some stuff and it's not showing anymore. I had noticed my internet connection had slowed down when it was showing. It didn't always show that connection, and it doesn't show it on my other laptop

Under Network connections, I clicked Avanced in the menu bar and then Optional Networking Components. From there I clicked on Networking Services and Details. I disabled Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control and the UPnP User Interface

I still have the ability to print on the other desktop's printer and access all other hard drives on all computers.
And yes, 192.168.1.1 is the router IP address for MOST Linksys routers. The newer ones use ***.2.1
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 AM

We went over this through PM. So, you are not having a problem right? You say that you can access the hard drives and printers of the other computers, but can you still see the internet with your laptop? As I said before, your connections are okay. BTW, there should not be a special "Internet Gateway" connection just because it is connected to a router. The computer does not know that you are connected through a router: it just knows that you are connected to an internet device. It sends and receives information via the router, just as if the router was the internet. The router is responsible for interpreting the data and communicating with the internet. On your setup, you should only have ONE netowrk connection, and that is the wireless connection coming from your router. Also, a gateway does not have to be router, and vice versa. A router moves data from one source to another. A gateway is a path from one network to another, in your case, your private network to the internet. A router is only a gateway when it is connected to another network. A stand alone router is not considered a gateway. Also, any client computer connected to that router could have an IP address of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254, sometimes 192.168.1.255. The actual IP addresses and number of slots depends on the router and the settings of the router. Anyway, your setup is okay, just as we had discussed through PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I just wanna make a statement that I think we should have a "Computer Tech" forum and make ^^^This guy^^^ the moderator of it. fing02.gif
Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the props JonGTR! I don't want anybody to feel bashed or put down either, I just want to make sure that everybody has the same and accurate facts. Anyway, I hope I answered some of your questions, majiktib.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Administrator

I agree Jon... we might need an extra Forum Tech. The position may be discussed among the mods and admins at a later date. Let's allow our new friend to get more than 100 posts before we throw a bunch of responsibility on him fing02.gif