The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Cel Stupidity

Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've had the CEL on prety much for the entire time Ive owned the car. Figured it was just the O2 sensor and ignored it. Car ran ok, I mean, it was a bit sluggish and bogged at times but it was mostly ok. So my inspection expired april 2006. I drove it around till now without it and didnt get stopped at all for it. But now my registration is up next month, so I have to do it. I took it to my buddy's shop while Im down here on Long Island for the week. He hooked it to the scanner and it came back O2 sensor, which I figured, and TPS. The TPS I had swapped a Dae Sung for a Kefico a while back, so I knew it should be ok. But the connecter harness thing was loose, so we figured it might be that. He changed the O2, fixed the exhaust up (it was a bit rattly/noisy) and I got a new harness and we put that on. So he clears the codes, I drive it, seems to run better, but then the CEL comes back. So now I go to Hyundai and buy a brand new TPS. Put it on, clear the codes, good for a bit, CEL comes back on. So I called him this afternoon and he tells me to bring it back. So on my way there, guess what, I get pulled over by a cop. He says to me "I pulled you over because you have no inspection." Im like uh, I have a ten day temp. Fvcking guy. So he takes my licesense, but my moms in the car, she's worked for the PD for over 40 years, so she gives him her ID and PBA card. Then he looks at the temp inspection paper in the windsheild, and pretty much says "get it done" as he hands me back the stuff. I'm like, Im going there right now jackass! I didnt actually say jackass, but I would have liked to. So anyway I finally get to the shop, he reads the code again and it's still coming up TPS. So we check the resistance of it and to see if its grounded, and guess what, its not getting any power or anything. Sooooo we undo all the wireloom and tape and lo and behold, we find the 3 TPS wires cut clean, not connected to anything. Someone, Im assuming the previous owner, cut the 3 wires clean, and then taped everything back up together. There was no way to see that they had been cut. WHY WOULD SOMEONE DO THAT??? And I must've drove it like that since I've had it! This is the second wiring problem Ive had with this Tib. The 02 sensor wiring was also fvcked up and had to be redone. I don't know what they did. I guess that's what I get for buying a car on ebay, lol.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

wow thats just retarted.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

wow! they cut the wires clean and then TAPED IT BACK!?!? it's confusing as hell why anyone would do that, but at least you figured it out and no more CEL! fing02.gif what also sucks though is that you probably didn't need that new tps. take it back!!!!!!! LOL. laugh.gif
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

at least you found the problem!!!! did it show any codes? because i have no codes on mine but it's showing high voltage after the auto-manual swap and there is a CEL.

wow cops are stupid. i hate them. on my way back from florida he tailgated this car to the left of me so the car nearly crashed into me turning into me, while i almost crashed into the truck to the right of me. the cop didn't even do anything he just kept driving and three f*cking cars including me nearly went off the i-75 right in f*cking front of him.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Didn't you know? o.o
Tape is one of the best conductors of electricity. There are so many people that don't know about this. You can tape up wires, there's no need for crimping anything. You don't even need to strip the wires bare. Electrical tape actually sucks current right through the fabric of time/space and wire loom, and then pushes it through the wire coating into the other wire, completing your circuit.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:39 AM

Yeah, I had no clue that the wires were cut, they were covered by electrical tape the entire time. It runs so much smoother now. Id imagine that the original TPS is still good, so i may sell it in the future.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:46 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

wow... so you drove the tib this whole time with the tps wires not connected? bigeyes.gif

i guess your car was running in "limp" mode the whole time there
Old 05-12-2007, 02:47 PM

lol, yeah thats what my buddy said, limp mode. I dont know how long it was like that. I bought the car in December 2004. We did most of the engine work winter and spring 2005. So it either came with the wires cut, or maybe some idiot at the shop cut them and tried to cover it up? I dont know. The light has stayed off so far now, but the damn thing wont pass inspection.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

^^^
where is the inspection being held at? where is your car registered? US or Canadian Standards?

If there is no cel after driving for a while and you go through inspections, it means that you have passed the OBD testing, now it'll just come down onto the emissions part; if the cat is efficiently/properly doing it's job or not.

Did you have a printout/reason why you failed?
Old 05-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

WTF? lmao.gif

somebody effed up and is REALLY lazy.

was the previous owner the type of person that would buy those "+50HP resistors for your IAT, TPS, CHT, wiring" etc..

I could see that...
But if somebody cut your wires accidentally on purpose, they must've noticed it (clean cut right?) LAZY pieces of sh!t...

I'm gonna try and electrical tape my timing belt and re-install. w00t!