The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Bad Luck And Now My Car Is Dead

Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

So I'm not one to post a lot on these boards cause I spend most of my time reading them instead. But tonight had some run in of bad luck and figured it might be worth sharing.

So I backed out of my dad's driveway on to a 4 lane road at about 9:30 pm. The road is has 2 lanes going each way and is a 35 mph zone. You can see about a mile down road as long as you don't have to cross traffic. So no traffic is coming so I back out on to the road. When I switch from reverse to first gear (manual tranny) the just shuts off. No power, no bog before dying, nothing. I'm like WTF car you have never done this. So I check my rear view mirror and no traffic. So I push the clutch and let it roll in toward the right lane. My coilovers make is a pain in the rear to turn much before getting out of my dad's craptacullar driveway. So I try to start and the car does nothing and I'm like what ever I will get out disconnect the battery and reconnect and see what happens. I look up and my rear view is just a pair of head lights. I know I'm screwed because he is about 5 car lengths back and hasn't even started slowing. The driver locks the brakes up and tries to weave his car from the left lane hugging center line around my car and fit between the Tib and the curb.

If he was on a Ninja maybe but no way in hell in a car. Amazingly he didn't rear end me but smashed into my front passenger fender and tire area as he sling shots over the curb into some peoples yard. As soon as I got hit I was on the brakes and stopped. I got out and checked the other driver and he was ok even though his air bags went off. A cop stopped not a minute after I was hit and started talking to us both. The other driver had no license, insurance or proof of registration. But no big deal was his friends car.

So in the end my Tib has massive damage to the front passenger area and can't be driven. The other car was worse off and its driver left with the officer. The owner showed up and after talking with him says he plans on rebuilding his car. His car was so awesome that they used wired to hang there huge muffler tip to the car.

Lesson learned is life sucks and if you have spare, stock or extra suspension components for the front passenger area send them my way so I can rebuild my Tiburon and not send it to the crusher.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's any kind of comfort to you, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened to your car. I had the same problem a little while back. It turns out that the little bolt-down for the battery came off and the ground kept disconnecting every time the battery slightly shifted. so my guess is that coming out of the PITA driveway you jostled the battery, pinched the ground just right to cut power, and the car died.