The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Almost Got Ripped Off..

Old 05-16-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First off iI glad I know as much as I do about cars and the whole auto industry because otherwise I would have gotten jipped today.

I went to the dealers with my Hyundai because the steering wheel vibration is really getting out of hand. I explained to the service rep to inspect the car etc. and to call me with an update. Ok that was done.

All of a sudden I get a phone call four hours later and the service rep. told me that some vibration is normal and to eliminate most of it I need an EFI service..which we all know in everyday terms in fuel injector service. He told me they did a diagnostic and that I had to pay $89. I'm like right,whatever..and I was told if I wanted to do the other service I would have to pay cause it's not covered under warranty. After I got off the phone, I got pissed because they did a diagnostic without my consent (and for no reason really cause I have no cel codes) and so I went straight to the dealer's with my mom because she insisted on going.

So, I came in with my mom and the service rep was there that took me in the morning..I explained the problem I had and this is where the fun began.

He said he told me that theyd do a diagnostic when I came there in the morning and i was like no u didnt if u did tell me i wouldnt have even came here..and so he said "ohh well how do u want us to inspect the car without doing everything we can?" im like listen i said for you to inspect the car not perform anything else unless I agreed to it and you didnt call me and tell me thats what you wanted to do..
So he said "no i called you" i said "yea once when u already did the diagnostic im talking about before you did that you didnt tell me"..and then he started talking to me like i was dumb.
he said "well in order to inspect the car fully we needed to do this and things that arent covered in warranty you pay for " I said i understand that, i know whats not covered i pay for, but the problem is you didnt tell me you wanted to perform a diagnostic when i came to you..and he was obviously retarted and told me he did.
Then we were bickering about the inspection thing again..and he said "well if you look in the dictionary under the word diagnostic youll see what im saying" I said "I know what a diagnostic is, it where a mechanic hooks up a device to the car to check cel codes" and he didnt say anything to that, so the service manager came in and talked to him in private.
Then he came to my mom and I and i explained it to him and he wasnt as uptight about it and pretty much understood..my mom started throwing off the subject a bit and i had to tell her to be quiet haha so i just talked with him and told him i wasnt told thats what was going to be done and i dont feel i should be obligated to pay for something i didnt know about.
Then my mom opened her mouth again telling him about the problems of the car from the beginning and telling him the car had five owners and the guy was like wtf? how is that possible? and I said "yahh man i have a car fax to prove it, it was in nj and then pa" and he was like damn. so whatever he thought for a moment and told a guy to get my keys and that we werent going to have to pay for anything. So yea, I almost got totally ripped off today.

I told my father all this and he nearly flipped his lid..he told me that I should have just told them to take the car back and tell them I'd get a lawyer to sue their behinds and if he didnt have to work then this would have been done already. So to prove that my car wont really get fixed with any efi service my dad is taking the car to his shop tomorrow to do that service. He said if theres still vibration in the steering wheel he'll go over to the dealers and tell them what they really need to hear and that includes telling them two simple words "f-ck you" laugh.gif
Old 05-16-2005, 03:13 PM

haha. They always try to do something and tell you anything to rip you off!

Glad that you know how to stand up for yourself!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

story sounds familiar lol, i told ya getting pissed is the only way to get your way now-a-days, glad it worked out for ya hehe...
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM

Good for you!! That happened to me before, they're always trying to make some extra cash. It's good to be on top of things.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

all dealers try to do unneeded service and try to dish you.

and their a$$e$ need to kicked.

Glad, that you shut them up.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ok first off a diagnostic doesnt mean hookin it to the computer a diagnostic is a inspection for looking at your car in the first place did you expect someone to look at your car for free? with most diagnostics they hook up the computer anyways to make sure there is not a misfire code which would make your car vibrate

oh and not all dealers are shaddy i work for one and we are pretty honest we will recommend anything that is needed if you dont get it thats up to you but we will try and get money if we see something needs attention...for example if someone said you have a bent rim thats why you got the vibration would you get mad at them for having prices ready for replacement?

and finally adjustments on hyundais are covered for one year or 12000 miles meaning tire balancing, alignments and such your issue seems to be related to tires so it more than likely is not covered under warranty(i used to do warranty for a hyundai dealer) but with a inspection if there is a part that is causing a problem they will replace it under warranty if its covered under the warranty why? they would rather get money from warranty than get no money at all from you and if it was covered they wouldnt charge you the inspection

if you owned a shop you wouldnt let things go for free either i just dont understand why everyone just has to b**** about everythin yes i personally have been ripped by hyundais warranty do i blame the dealer? yes why? cuz they blew my tranny by not adding fluid to it after my axle blew (funny how the tranny blew less than a week later) did hyundai get my back? yes i had to pay WARRANTY COST FOR LABOR ONLY they paid for parts

finally, the advisor is doing his job by trying to make a living most work on commision and warranty pays JACK to dealers (for example again to replace a tranny warranty will pay about 2100 if you go and ask them to replace your tranny you will pay that much in parts alone) most advisors get paid (rough estimate) 3% of all work done yes a good advisor will make alot of money but they do have to deal with people who come in and scream at them for no reason.....

i have listed steps in gettin the dealer to charge you less before its been posted here somewhere but i dont wanna look oh and there is no such thing as "unneeded service" hyundai has recommendations as to when things has to be replaced/serviced and if you dont do it guess what? you void warranty for not doin it hence why they tell you to do so
example:
timing belt at 60k
i replaced mine at 85k
but if it blew at 61k i would be stuck with replacing my engine

in the words of jed from hp.com

"END COMMUNICATION"

and if you have any questions about dealers and such lemme know ill try and help ya
Old 05-16-2005, 04:12 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>oh and not all dealers are shaddy i work for one and we are pretty honest we will recommend anything that is needed if you dont get it thats up to you but we will try and get money if we see something needs attention...</div>

yah dealers are great because they pay your bills. im sensing some bias here, its wonderful having a warranty and then having to fork out money when something COVERED breaks or in this case doesnt break.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>for example if someone said you have a bent rim thats why you got the vibration would you get mad at them for having prices ready for replacement?</div>

no but should we have to pay 89 bucks just for them to look at my rims and tell us that there is nothing wrong with them?

ease up man nobody said u were shady, u dont know this place do you?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (faithofadragon @ May 16 2005, 09:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'></div>

I respect your advice but I worked in the auto industry too and I know how little everyone gets paid etc. but sometimes you guys do take people for a ride. My dad is a mechanic and even he tells me stories about other mechanics bsing to get money from customers. You can't tell me that your honest all the time and only recommend what needs to be done..come on..if it worked that way noone would get paid. I don't have a lot of money myself and I really dont feel like spreading what little I have to things I <u>don't</u> need to spend it on. You cant say that I wasn't disrespected today, because I <u>was</u> made to look like the douche bag. As for the dealership and dealers, they've soured me so bad that I doubt I'll go visit one again unless I <u>really</u> need to.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i never said anyone said i was shady or my dealership was

no one ever hears the other side though....

also i bet you the dealership charges a flat rate for diagnostics....more than likely one hour of labor which would probably be 89 in this case

the tech looked over the vehicle he probably drove it also and may have even tightened bolts in order to see if he can fix it

in the time he was doin that he could have been makin money doin somethin else do you honestly think you would get labor for free? thats like going into a lube shop and getting a oil change 1500 miles to soon...it wasnt needed but you think they will give you it for free cuz there was no problem with it?

and if it was covered they would have replaced it simple as that if you dont think they did a good job take it somewhere else and get a second opinion

oh and if anyone needs advise as to how to save money when they get work done at a dealership......let me know
Old 05-16-2005, 04:31 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (faithofadragon @ May 16 2005, 10:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>thats like going into a lube shop and getting a oil change 1500 miles to soon...it wasnt needed but you think they will give you it for free cuz there was no problem with it?</div>

no, thats a bad analogie, this would be more like him taking a sample of the oil from the dipstick or something and looking at it and telling you it doesnt need to be changed and then charging u 89 bucks for it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>and if it was covered they would have replaced it simple as that if you dont think they did a good job take it somewhere else and get a second opinion</div>

Yah, and pay another 89 bucks for that second opinion?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>oh and if anyone needs advise as to how to save money when they get work done at a dealership......let me know</div>

lets hear them lol, save us all some money, i got something im thinking about going into the dealer for, should i PM you or something?